Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Really Trying

Hello Everyone,

First the weight and health report.  I am maintaining right around 140 lbs.  My arthritis has been much worse for months and I have begun taking Cymbalta on a trial basis.  My doc gave me enough samples for 3 weeks or so.  Honestly, it doesn't seem to be working any better than the ibuprofen I had been taking. 
I KNOW I feel better all over when I eat nutritious meals and when I am conscious of what I am putting in my body. 

I set out to get my cholesterol down and stop taking the blood pressure meds.  Neither have been accomplished.  After a slight decline, my total cholesterol at last check, in November 2012, went from 249 to 258.  Likewise, my LDL went from 130 to 172 (WTF?) and my HDL went from 71 to 55.  I assume it was my less-than-stellar choice of food while my husband was so sick, as well as the stress of his illness and death, and lack of exercise because I just can't put one foot in front of the other.

I am sorry to say nothing has changed.  I am so sick with grief that I eat whatever presents itself.  In other words, I eat whatever someone brings or whatever is easy to grab from the refrigerator.  Most friends know I do not eat fried foods and I like a lot of vegetables.  But they want to take me out to a restaurant and who knows what's in that food...ugh.  I do keep salad fixings and protein and canned vegetable soups, but I have no desire to prepare a meal to eat alone.  I usually eat one meal per day and eat a piece of fruit, yogurt or canned soup the rest of the time.  I try to drink enough water and take my vitamins.  Which reminds me, I haven't taken them in 2 or 3 days.  Not good.

So much for my health report.

My stress level is still quite high, I'm sure, as I am dealing with business details, insurance, medical bills, probate, figuring out what to do with his clothes and tools...on and on.  I am overwhelmed with running a house alone, maintaining two vehicles alone, decisions to be made alone, as well as facing what were to be my retirement years without him. 

I am quite lonely, and find myself thinking of calling him to share some little something, or to ask him a question, and when I come into the house I expect him to be in his recliner.  After researching grief and widowhood, I find this is normal.  After many years, widows and widowers still expect to hear their spouse's key in the door in the evening, or think for a moment upon waking every morning that they're still there in the bed with them.  I do this every day.  And every day I feel a punch in the stomach that makes me remember he is gone.

One day I will put on my shoes and hit the road for a walk to clear the cobwebs out of my head.  The days are getting longer and the weather is nice enough from time to time.  I know that time is my best friend and it HAS to get easier.  But not yet.

In my research I also learned that you need to let the grief process happen and not try to rush it or skip a stage, because it can hit you even harder later on if you don't experience it now.  That is NOT something I need to happen. 

I am helping myself by making an effort to be with friends, especially those who have been through this.  And to be with people who know me well and that I am comfortable being around.  And I will see a counselor next week, and am joining a grief group within the next month or so. 

Thank you all for checking on me, for leaving messages of encouragement, and for just reaching out to me.  I certainly appreciate each and every gesture.  And please bear with me as I go through this bump in the road.  I am neither the first nor the last to lose a spouse, and I will get through this.  I apologize if this seems like a pity party or a whine-fest.  It is the way it is for me at this time.  But as the title of this post says, I know what I should be doing and am REALLY TRYING to get back to the Jo you knew.

For whatever our individual reasons may be, let's look forward to sunshine and warmer days!

 

14 comments:

downsizers said...

Let's do look forward. Understanding the process is important and you are educating yourself on what is normal to expect and are doing the only thing you can do - get through it and come out on the other side. It's bound to be overwhelming but you are stronger and you will get over this even though I am sure you feel at times it's too hard. We are all thinking about you. Keep us posted. Take care and God bless.

Michele said...

Hi, Jo,
Thank you or sharing with us how things are going. Everything you described here in the post seems so normal to me. I agree with you about the grieving process. It is a process. It will take time to meander through it.

You mention how much you would like to share things with your hubby: have you ever thought of just doing just that? Just talking with him as if he was there. He can not answer you back, but, it might help you to work through some things by talking it out loud.

I think of you often. Sending you love and goodwill through this comment. Michele

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you. It sounds like you are doing such an amazing job during this time, Jo. Please continue to be patient and compassionate with yourself. I'm so glad you're spending time with friends. I hope you can walk outside in the sunshine soon.
Holding you up in prayer, Meg

gracies tough journey said...

I can feel your pain thru your writing and I wish you could feel my hugs to you. I am so sorry for your loss and the anguish you are feeling. May God wrap you in his arms and give you the strength you need. God Bless, Gracie

Angela Pea said...

Big Hugs, my friend. Warmer days and sunshine really are on the way. I have daffodils poking leaves out of the ground this week.

MaryFran said...

Your still putting one foot in front of another....that sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to be doing right now. The weight..the choleserol...all of that will fall into place when it's time!

Sarah G said...

((((JO)))))

Sharon said...

So good to hear from you. I think of you often and my heart cries. I simply cannot imagine what this must feel like for you. And you know, the only thing you said that bothered me was the very last part about really trying to get back to the "Jo you knew." You can't do that - you will never be that same person again because part of what made you that person is gone. Your life is different now and the memories of who you were with your husband are there to be cherished forever. But a treasured part of you is missing and don't underestimate how much that will ultimately change you. We will love you in whatever frame of mind you need for us to. Take care! Sharon

Debsdailylife said...

I think of you and say a prayer for you so often!!!
Grieving is not easy, but, youre right, must be done.
Hugs to you as you travel this path!! Im proud of you for seeing a counselor!!
Take care my friend!

Julie said...

You made me cry. You're not whining, your not complaining, your not doing anything like that. You are trying to coop. I can't imagine Jo. I just can't not imagine.
You are doing what you need to do, putting one foot in front of the other...moving forward. I'm glad your talking to people that have been there, done that but remember this is your time and I'm pretty sure you'll move at your own pace.
Jo, you are doing great...just living and moving forward. You do need to take better care of yourself and eat better to help with your arthritis and other health issues.
Take care Jo and thank you for checking in.

Karla said...

thank you for posting. I have been worried about you. You don't sound like you are whining ... you are grieving! I am glad to hear you are spending time with friends and the counselor will help you as well

big cyber hugs to you sweet lady

(((((hugs))))

Karla


Kyra said...

Jo, don't ever apologize for how you are feeling. I'm sorry it's so hard, but I am glad you are trying to take steps to help yourself through this time. I haven't been through it, I won't pretend that I know. Just know that I'm sorry and still thinking of you (even though I'm relatively unknown and started reading you just before all this happened.) Take care.

Julie said...

Hey girl, I just stopped by to check in on you. Wanted you to know I've been thinking about you and praying that life has found a place for you to be happy and taken care of.
Blessings Jo.

Angela Pea said...

Hi Jo!

Just checking in on you. I'm thinking about you, and keep you in my prayers.

Angela Pea