Sunday, March 24, 2013

Healing

Hello Everyone,

Not much has changed with me since my last post over a month ago, except that time has passed and I know that time is my best friend to get past the grief.

I am still maintaining my weight at 138 - 140 lbs.  This is still taking no effort, as I do not cook for one, and if I eat at a restaurant I will either take the leftovers with me or leave them on the plate.  I do eat more fruit than I have in quite awhile, probably because it is so portable.  It is so sad to me to sit at the table and eat alone, so most of what I eat can be picked up in one hand or eaten standing at the counter.  My friends are still cooking for me and inviting me out, but have finally begun to understand I am not hungry and am not going to starve.  I do not eat fast food and try to make everything I put in my mouth count as far as nutrition is concerned.  And my medical doctor is well aware of what is going on with me.

I mentioned that I was going to see a grief counselor.  I have done this and she is wonderful.  She understands that my husband was my best friend and soul mate (a term I hated until I lost him and realized how descriptive it was) and how deep I am feeling the loss.  I have a lot of emotional stuff going on, but the thing that I can't seem to get past is anger, and she is helping me with that.  I feel guilty for being angry, and that is a feeding frenzy back and forth.  But I will get through it.

I also mentioned that I was going back to work and I started that 3 weeks ago.  All is going well, considering my state of mind.  Focusing is difficult.  I am only doing this because I believe it will be good for me and that I need to get out.  Working at the oldest and most respected law firm in my small town puts me in contact with many people who are also well-respected and who do a lot of good things for our community.  We handle matters for our share of criminals, but also for the business people of the community, as well as estate planning  and probate for most of the pillars of the community.  That puts me in touch with a good class of people in general.  And these are the people who are helping me with my husband's estate matters, as well as helping me with planning for and transitioning to a future without him.

Next month I am going to the beach with some friends and am so looking forward to that.  We will stay 4 nights and that is enough to rest and get away.  One of them is planning some day trips and I have said to not plan on me for those.  I just need some meditation time away from here and hope it will help clear my brain fog.  That can only be done on the beach, by the pool, or on the balcony.  However, if I feel like doing something they have planned, I will.  But this getaway is all about healing for me.

Thanks to you who have left comments now and again just to say hello and you are thinking of me.  It means a lot when I'm not doing much to keep up my end of the encouragement around here.  Just know that I am fine and am doing what I am advised and feel is right for me.  I will be back, but have found there is no timetable or deadline to the grief process.

19 comments:

Angela Pea said...

I'm so glad to hear you're okay, and that time is doing what it does best.

Julie said...

Thank you for checking in Jo. You take all the time you need for as long as you need plus to find a life that fits you.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Take care of yourself Jo. I don't know anything about what you're going through but I can imagine it's hell on earth.
Blessings!!

Michele said...


Hi, Jo,
Thanks so much for writing this post to let us know how you are doing. I do not know you in person, but I do think about you everyday. I am so glad you are seeing a grief counselor. She will help you sort out so many of your conflicting and disorienting emotions. Sending kind thoughts your way. Michele

Christine said...

I'm so sorry...every once in a while I look over at my husband of 20 years and realize that one day, one of us is going to go first..Then I try not to think about it. I'm sorry...I am glad you are getting out and eating and living. I hope you trip provides some joyous moments.

Sharon said...

I think of you so often and appreciate the time you take to write occasional updates even when you may not feel like doing so. It sounds as if you have a wonderful network of support. What would we do without that?

Jenn said...

I wish I had some words of comfort for you, but nothing seems to come out right. So I just wanted you to know that I was hear, I read your words and I wish you strength.

AlmostGastricBypass said...

Take care...

Anonymous said...

So glad to have you check in. The beach is so healing, .... listen to te waves...they remind me of eternity....

Caron said...

I think you've made a lot of good choices and although you are fragile, you are also strong. I wish you the very best as you face each day. It is great you do have so much support.

Kyra said...

I'm glad to hear you're still moving forward. Keep taking care of yourself! I think of you often.

Anonymous said...

Thinking and praying for you Jo. So glad that you posted. Such good news that your grief counselor is helping you sort things out. I usually discount counseling, but I think in grief they are invaluable.

You sound... good. Hugs. You remain in my thoughts.

Debsdailylife said...

Jo thank you for updating and letting us know how youre doing! I wish I had words of comfort and healing for you!! So glad you moved forward with the counselor!! Prayers for peace, warmth, and healing!!

E. Jane said...

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. Take good care of yourself while letting healing time pass, and your choices show that you are doing that. I also think the beach vacation will be a very good thing. Sending healing thoughts your way...

Julie said...

Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you tonight.
Take care of yourself Jo.
Blessings!!

Angela Pea said...

Hi Jo! I was thinking about you today, and hope you are well.

I'm holding you up in prayer, my friend.

Julie said...

Good evening Jo. I just wanted you to know I've been thinking about you and just wanted to check in.
Take care Jo. Blessings my friend!

Julie said...

Good morning Jo. I'm hoping it's a good morning for you too but I still can't put myself in your shoes and understand all that's going on. I do so appreciate you stopping by and leavning me such a sweet comment. I have life so much easier than you and I need to remember that but at times it seems life is just so heavy and hard to carry along. However I'm learning and so wanted you to know that you are always in my heart and prayers and I hope that one day sunshine and roses will life you up.
Take care my friend. Blessings!!

Julie said...

Good evening Jo. I just stopped by to say good night and hope that things are easing up a bit. Though I haven't a clue how it all goes along. I just hope you are taking care of yourself.
My prayers are with you.
Take care my friend.
Blessings!!

Sharon said...

Hi Jo, Don't even know if you'll get this or not, but I'd had you on my mind and wanted to say hello. I think of you so often and can't begin to fathom what you are dealing with. I hope you are finding some sort of rhythm and at least occasionally, a moment of peace. Take care, Sharon