Friday, September 2, 2011

Good-Bye Gluten

I am giving up bread and anything wheat.  It is a trial for a month, just to see if I can feel better.

I have blood sugar spikes, carb cravings, crunch cravings, all the thiings gluten intolerance does to you.  For awhile I have suspected that I am gluten intolerant.  Many years ago (20 or so?) I was given a RAST test for allergies.  It showed I was allergic to wheat and cows.  The doctor told me to "try" to avoid eating wheat (and to stay away from cows, which is not a problem).  Absolutely everything in a box or bag has wheat in it!  I remember I did cut back and it didn't seem to make any difference to my sinuses, so I went back to eating bread and crackers.

Something is up with my body, and I suspect it is food-related, as I have been on this healthy kick for over a year.  The last change I made was to eat more carbs for energy to begin a running program.  Well, the carbs included more bread products, of course.  I did not go overboard, but gave myself permission to eat low glycemic index carbs a little more.  Then the hypoglycemia started with a vengeance, some vertigo, and just general lethargic and sad feelings. 

I bought a glucometer and have been checking my glucose levels, with only a few surprises.  I have a home blood pressure monitor and my BP is almost perfect.  Most of the time there are no digestive upsets, but when there is one, well, it is major. 

As you know, I do get a medical checkup every 6 months, with the next one planned for early November.  You can bet I will ask for a gluten intolerance test or celiac disease test.  Also he will probably want to do the glucose tolerance test.  I do so hope I am not pre-diabetic, but would not be surprised, as it is in my mother's family here and there. 

Please jump in with any suggestions/comments.  I want to feel better so I can get these last few pounds off.  Any gluten-free suggestions?  Is rye bread okay?  I am researching but not sure, other than bread and crackers, what NOT to eat.  Rice, perhaps?

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a safe holiday weekend!

8 comments:

Jacqui said...

Rye bread still has gluten. You can find gluten free breads in the freezer section, but they are higher in calories than wheat bread, so if that's a concern, you may need to stay away from them.

Rice is fine, as is quinoa. Oats are usually a no as well, unless you get certified gluten free (Bob's Red Mill has a GF oat). There are some good gluten free crackers (Mary's is one I can think of off hand), but most gluten replacements are empty calories. They don't have the whole grains or fiber. So, your blood sugars may continue to bother you if you rely on them.

Also, just so you know, to do a celiac test, you have to have gluten in your system.. so you will have to go back on gluten before the test ( I think it's usually 2 weeks).

good luck with getting rid of gluten.. I hope it makes you feel better. If you have any questions, just let me know. :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I'm in the same boat you are. Trying to give up wheat. I haven't been super strict about it unfortunately but I AM going to do it! I'm pretty sure that rye bread is NOT okay, it has gluten. I've been doing a lot of research myself and trying to figure the whole thing out too. I DO believe that it is causing problems for a lot of people so we're on the right track. Now it's time for us to just be disciplined about it!

I'll have to figure out a bread at some point if i want to get the family on board, they LIVE on sandwiches! And pretzels... and waffles ... and cereal... Ugh! Gotta be done though!

Anonymous said...

there are breads from a company called udi's that are supposed to be really good.....have you tried ezekial products? i am not sure about gluten free as they are sprouted grains.
if you like oatmeal bob's red mill has a gluten free extra thick rolled oats. gluted free as in the oats are grown no where or processed near wheat.
as for gluten free pasta....makes me nuts to try to cook it. mine always does bad gummy disolving things:(

Anonymous said...

btw...that udi's post was from me...wendy
http://whatifiamready.blogspot.com/2011/08/well-aint-that-ffunny.html

blogger is giving me headaches about posting with my account:(

Food Freak said...

I don't know if you like to bake or not, but there's a wonderful store in Vermont, King Arthur's Flour, that I've been buying from for years. They specialize in bread. I've begun baking bread freque3ntly and get most of my supplies/flours from them. They have MANY recipes for gluten-free baked goods, as well as some mixes. They carry nearly all the grains you'd need to make breads--rice flour, barley flour, kamut, and much more. Bread baking is so relaxing, and you'd never have to worry about trace amounts of wheat.

Just something to think about. I hope you feel better soon. Like NOW.

Jolyn said...

I am really interested to see how the changes effect you. I have just been reading on wheat and book wheat belly...almost all my weight is in my belly..I think I am going to try this also. Please keep us updated.

Jolyn

Mary said...

I've been gluten-free for about a year and a half, and I feel great. It's difficult at first - lots of GF food are really bad - but when there are good ones out there. Udi's (available online or at Whole Foods, and probably other places) makes breads, rolls, pizza crusts, etc., and everything they make is great. (BTW, you can't have rye,or, odd as it seems, aged cheese.) Take a look at the blog "Gluten-free girl and the chef." She has recipes and tips and lots of encouragement. For pasta, there are good rice noodles (the best ones are in Asian markets or ethnic aisle of the grocery story) or the Schar brand. DeBoles makes good corn pastas. Best of luck. I know it changed my life.

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Jo, I'm wishing you the best of luck with the gluten free diet. I'm glad I don't have that issue but I do avoid simple carbs and white flour anyway. Please keep us updated on your test result. Hugs.