After the heat wave we have been having, after the burn bans all over the area, after the lawn playing dead and the garden refusing to produce, we finally had 3 days of RAIN! And wind and storms, but who cares? It's time to get the lawnmower back out and pull some weeds. In other words, some lawn therapy.
It has been another busy week around here with life happening. I mentioned in my last post that my little dog was not feeling well. It turns out that he had something lodged in his throat. Husband realized the problem when he tried to bark at another dog passing through our yard (his yard) and could only manage a squeak. We fed him a bit of chicken and got him to exercise a bit, then a bit of regular dog food. The foreign object seems to have gone on through and all digestion seems normal. He is back to his job of guarding the porch and yard and barking at invisible aliens and such (from inside the front window). He is 12 lbs of bad-ness (he thinks). I was hoping he had not tried to eat a paper clip or hearing aid battery or something that was either going to poison him or have to be surgically removed.
Okay, for the Sizzle Report. This week we were to try to eat vegetarian. I have tried that before and it did not work in my household because Hubs loves his steak too much. If I cook it for him, I will eat some of it. So I tweaked the program a bit and tried to eat LESS meat and MORE veggies. I would call it a success. I had salads on 5 out of 7 days for lunch. BTW, thanks to those who offered me tips to get my salad to stick with me for more than a couple of hours. I did add tuna, cottage cheese, leftover chicken, and boiled egg (not at the same time, of course) and it did help. And, I tried adding more greens and veggies. I haven't tried seeds yet, but they're another option.
My calories averaged right around 1200 per day this week, which is great. My water intake was not as much, only because I was away from home and restroom more. Exercise has been not as much (same excuse - away). But it's okay - I will get back to it this week. I have missed my walks to clear my head and meditate, but they are on my priority list for this week.
This week's mini-challenge is to sign up for a 5K and get out there and do it. There are none in my area coming up soon that I want to enter, so Julie is doing a virtual 5K for us on July 27th. If there is anyone who can't find the perfect 5K, come on over and join us. Julie is nice to not care if we run/walk/cycle, or crawl, and we are not competing, we are just doing it.
On my bookshelf right now is Bob Harper's The Skinny Rules. It's a very easy read and some common-sense advice for any of us, whether we need to lose 100 lbs or maintain what we have already lost. The "rules" are those we can follow now and for the rest of our lives. There is no diet, just eating guidelines with foods we already have or can easily find, and not a lot of ingredients in his recipes that are weird (like spices and flavorings). It is a nice book for beginners, especially, but there's something in it for all of us.
Okay, I'm off to gear up to "train" for Julie's 5K! Have a great week, everyone!
Okay, for the Sizzle Report. This week we were to try to eat vegetarian. I have tried that before and it did not work in my household because Hubs loves his steak too much. If I cook it for him, I will eat some of it. So I tweaked the program a bit and tried to eat LESS meat and MORE veggies. I would call it a success. I had salads on 5 out of 7 days for lunch. BTW, thanks to those who offered me tips to get my salad to stick with me for more than a couple of hours. I did add tuna, cottage cheese, leftover chicken, and boiled egg (not at the same time, of course) and it did help. And, I tried adding more greens and veggies. I haven't tried seeds yet, but they're another option.
My calories averaged right around 1200 per day this week, which is great. My water intake was not as much, only because I was away from home and restroom more. Exercise has been not as much (same excuse - away). But it's okay - I will get back to it this week. I have missed my walks to clear my head and meditate, but they are on my priority list for this week.
This week's mini-challenge is to sign up for a 5K and get out there and do it. There are none in my area coming up soon that I want to enter, so Julie is doing a virtual 5K for us on July 27th. If there is anyone who can't find the perfect 5K, come on over and join us. Julie is nice to not care if we run/walk/cycle, or crawl, and we are not competing, we are just doing it.
On my bookshelf right now is Bob Harper's The Skinny Rules. It's a very easy read and some common-sense advice for any of us, whether we need to lose 100 lbs or maintain what we have already lost. The "rules" are those we can follow now and for the rest of our lives. There is no diet, just eating guidelines with foods we already have or can easily find, and not a lot of ingredients in his recipes that are weird (like spices and flavorings). It is a nice book for beginners, especially, but there's something in it for all of us.
Okay, I'm off to gear up to "train" for Julie's 5K! Have a great week, everyone!
7 comments:
I am SOO glad that your little doggie is okay. What a relief.
The only way I can get exercise in when it is so hot is to do it right away in the morning. We are in a hot spell, too, now in MN/WI. I keep hoping for rain...glad you got some.
Have a great week 7!
Jealous of your rain and very happy your pup is better. Good luck on the vegetation week, I couldn't do it. Go gett'em in training for the 5k.
-Patrick
http://responsibility199.wordpress.com
I am happy that you embraced those salads last week. Sorry I am so late in getting to you to comment. I know the 5K thing is tough for those that can't sign up this week (I'm actually included in that group) so I am thrilled Julie is hosting the virtual 5K, too!
Hope you have a great week getting back into the swing of exercise - AND I am happy to hear your doggie is OK! Whew! If they could only talk and tell us what is wrong!
It would be great if we could get a good soaking rain here instead of the two inches in an hour deluges we get during monsoon but I try to be grateful for all the rain as we need it. Our yearly rain is about 10 or 11 inches I think.
I'm going to check out Julie's 5K. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah to your rain. We have it too, sorta need it in the gardens but not where it's still flooded.
Thanks for the mention, maybe we can have a few more join us. We are at 11 right now, not bad at all!
Take care and have a blessed afternoon Jo.
Oh--three days of rain!! How wonderful! We've had a bit, but we need lots more. It has really been a scorcher this year!
So glad you're little dog is OK. They are members of the family, and we do worry about them.
BTW, I also am reading "The Skinny Rules." It's very common sense, and your right--something in it for all of us. Have a great weekend!
It's been super hot here too but we finally got some rain that knocked over my tomato plants. You can't win!
I hope you had a great week.
Post a Comment