Food is on my mind today.
Same as every day. But this is special.
I am having guests on Wednesday for lunch. Trying to plan the menu around a 95-year-old with digestive problems, a diabetic, and a 4-year-old who won't really eat anything, but will always remember the picnic. I want it to be fun, with kid-sized plates and fun food. I was thinking of Ranch dip and a small plate of raw carrots, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, and things she could pick up with her fingers, as well as cheese cubes on toothpicks with maybe an olive, too. I will make her a PBJ sandwich, cut off the crusts, and tell her we will share it, just the two of us. Some lunch box-size bags of assorted chips. And watermelon. Someone else is bringing a cake, and I will have adult food, as well. Chicken salad probably. Maybe just some plain ole ham and cheese. And of course, cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden.
All this menu planning makes me crave that potato salad I mentioned yesterday. I am thinking I could make it with a little olive oil mayonnaise, yellow mustard, some onions and pickles and try to keep it simple. Maybe some olives stuffed with pimentos for color. And a few chives from my herb garden.
I don't think I am going to be able to forget about the potato salad. Which is why I declared today a "no carb" day. It's 3:30 p.m. and so far, so good. No cereal, crackers, bread, or sweets. Tuna salad on lettuce instead of saltines for lunch. Lots of cucumbers. Lots. And I am being extra vigilent about drinking my water today.
I think it's called planning. No carbs today or tomorrow. One portion of potato salad on Wednesday. Send the leftovers home with the guests.
I like the plan.
9 comments:
I'm making potato salad too. I'm not having any cravings of the potato variety. Yet. But sending the leftovers with the guests? I do it all the time and it saves me so many calories! LOL Have a great fourth!
I was linked an article from Princeton dot edu on high-fructose corn syrup. I was reading about the study on rats when they included MAYO as one of the foods with HFCS in it. I just like stopped reading and b-lined to the fridge to check out my brand. Phew! The study article is interesting, but you gotta know this that the rats gained lots of weight with small amounts etc...Sounds like that bout I had with free soda at work etc...Just saying. Phew!
Potato Salad and any deli using mayo is my fav. It is like ice cream to me but salty. LOL Actually have choices this time around for me. I like Pam's idea to send the left overs with guests. yeah...Happy 4th!
The is definitely what they call planning. Holidays & family gatherings are so easy to get away from us if we do not plan for them.
Enjoy!
-Patrick
http://responsibility199.wordpress.com
It sounds like a great plan, Jo. I think this is how "naturally thin" people eat. They compensate for heavier eating days by cutting down either before or after. Sounds like it will be a great time!
I love potato salad but rarely eat it. I have tried once or twice to make it less caloric with reduced fat mayo and some of the powdered ranch dressing mix. Add some red onion and dill pickles maybe. It does sound good. Happy Fourth of July. :)
It's a good thing I don't like potato salad. Now if we could have picnic without those brownies and rice krispie bars.
Have a blessed 4th.
I hope that you had a great 4th and your planning paid off! I haven't made potato salad in a while, and we all love it!
Yes, it's a good plan. My grandmother fixed the BEST cucumbers. Peel one cucumber. Slice VERY thin. Put in ice water bath to cover plus 2TBSP white vinegar. Put in fridge, covered, for at least one hour. Drain to serve. These are lovely as a Side salad and make a wonderful cucumber sandwich. Stay cool.
Yay. THAT is what guests are for - to tote home the leftovers!
For some reason I am having trouble getting your updates on my reading list on blogger. Do you have any notion as to why that might be? I thought I would check in to find out why you have not been posting and - I almost keeled!
Post a Comment