Saturday, July 10, 2010

Veg Out!

Hello Readers,

Yesterday we went to the Amish Country in search of fresh veggies and came back loaded down with fresh goodness! We got corn, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, beans, okra, and cantaloupe. All is washed and in the fridge (or in my stomach!).

I looooove fresh vegetables, especially the okra and zucchini. And I just have to have just one batch fried up in some canola oil. But it's in my plan and as long as I don't overdo, it's fine.

What I like about going to the Amish Country, as well as the local farmers markets, is that their veggies are fresher and not grown with as many (or any) insecticides and chemicals.

So this is one way of achieving my goal of clean eating. I am going to enjoy all this freshness as long as it is growing and perhaps even freeze a few bags for winter!

When I think back on what made me fat, it isn't overeating all the fresh vegetables of summer, not even if occasionally they are fried in a little healthy oil. It was the restaurant meals with mystery ingredients. The inactivity of my body. The convenience of packaged foods. The lack of vegetables and fruit in my diet. And most importantly, my lack of focus.

It's over now. And this is not a diet, it is a way of life.
Thank you for reading.

4 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Awesome on the veggies! I LOVE zucchini, I haven't had okra too much though. Lack of focus, hits the nail right on the head! I so need to get focused and stay there!

Kenlie said...

I'm going shopping for fresh produce later today, and you just reminded me how much I love it. Thank you!

So excited that you're joining Sean and me in the water challenge! Bottoms up!

Anonymous said...

Inactivity and restaurant and take out meals have contributed to my situation too.

Jo said...

Glenn, we are smarter than that. No more for me. When I am stuck at a restaurant I don't trust, I will do my best to order something simple and remove the bread, cheese, extra fat swimming around it. I will eat half of it and let the rest go back. This is very difficult for me, but it's getting a little easier.