Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 142 - Let's Talk About Food



I need your suggestions. I have never told you what I eat.

This was my breakfast scramble: 2 egg whites, 1 egg, mushrooms, and a bit of 2% cheese, for a total of 170 calories.

This is one of the usual things I have for breakfast. Or it is sometimes a banana (100 cal) and 1/2 peanut butter sandwich with whole grain bread (100 + 90) for a total of 290 calories. Or 1 tbsp peanut butter (100) on toasted multigrain (45) for 145 calories. Or 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (65) with strawberries (20) and 1/2 banana (50) for a total of 135 calories. You get the picture. I try to keep breakfast under 300 calories.

Lunch is usually tuna salad with some kind of crackers.
1 can tuna (100)
1 tbsp olive oil mayo (45)
1 tbsp sweet pickle cubes (15)
5 low fat saltines (50)
I might eat 3 or 4 baby carrots with this. Or not.

Lunch also might be a sandwich with either 35-calorie per slice turkey or ham, on multi grain bread (45 per slice) with olive oil mayo (45) or dijon mustard (7). And maybe some lettuce and/or tomato.

If I eat lunch at a restaurant, I always count it as 800 to 1000 calories, which is probably high. Lunch is usually Mexican, Chinese, or hamburger joint. Rarely is it a chain restaurant where calories are posted online. If I have a salad, I count it as 400 or 500 because I don't know what's in the dressing. I will have grilled chicken, and if it comes with cheese or croutons I will pick those off, for the most part.

Afternoon snack is a piece of fruit, cheese and 2 lowfat Triscuits, peanut butter on 2 saltines, lowfat popcorn, or nuts.

Dinner is usually 3 oz of meat, usually steak, boneless pork chop, chicken, or fish. Husband usually grills it. I fix the salad or steamed veggie. Once a week we will split a baked potato with lowfat sour cream on my half.

I rarely eat sweets. I like sweet stuff, but feel better when I leave it alone. When I do need some little something after a meal, I will eat a bite size piece of chocolate or 3 or 4 M&M's. Sweet stuff did not make me gain weight.

I rarely eat pasta, although I do love it. It's too easy for me to overdo it, so it's a rare treat.

I try to keep it around 1,200 calories per day. If I go over, I try to cut back the next day. I probably burn between 300 and 400 calories per day exercising, which is walking 2+ miles, riding my bike, and lawn maintenance.

So what is missing? What do I need to throw out? What do I need to change? Please give me some feedback. If I'm doing it all wrong, let me know. Am I basically counting calories correctly? If you see a food group missing, tell me. Be critical, please.

Do I need to eat cheesecake??

19 comments:

Mark said...

Of course you need to eat cheesecake. How would any of us survive without it? :p

One thing you haven't mentioned is water. How much water do you drink? Are you properly hydrated? If you're not, you'll retain water :)

Jo said...

@Mark - I knew I forgot something...Yes, I drink 64+ oz of water daily. No other drinks except 1 cup of morning coffee. Thanks for the reminder!

Allan said...

Somehow I always feel that these posts are a setup..I love that..Given that you have put 1200 calories as a goal, start with breakfast. The pretty picture is 170 calories, great, add some fruit. 2 cups of watermelon, a sliced apple, something. The other breakfast tastes better, and you will be starving in ten minutes. Lunch, how about more protein and veggies, and lose the bread. At a restaurant, enjoy the water and the coffee or tea. Eat nothing our until you are comfy on the diet, or be a pain and order grilles fish or chicken breast dry, with salad, dry and add the dressing and fats yourself. Restaurants are tricky. Dinner is great, and don't waste calories on candy. At 1,200 calories, the 250 calorie handful of M&M's is 20% of your food allotment over board... Hmm.. More fruit...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo, there are lots of software out there to help analyse your diet. On a PC one of my faves is DietPower as it calculates all the nutrients you've eaten and tells you where you're short or have had too much. For a quick analysis of your needs you could try http://www.dietnation.com/weight-loss-tools/daily-nutrient-calculator.aspx which can calculate what a maintenance profile would look like for you based on gender, age, weight and activity level. It is only macronutrients though, not a complete profile like you can get from DietPower.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and here's another calculator...but as I said, there are lots of them out there... http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/a/calguide.htm

Patrick said...

If you are coming in around 1200 calories and your eating is like it is above in general day in and day out then you will lose weight. Seems like a good balance, 1200 calories is going to cause you to drop unless you spend 20 hours a day in bed.

And the cheesecake. Yes, once a month you must eat a piece of cheesecake or you will gain 100 pounds. That is what I heard anyhow.

Jo said...

@Allan - Thanks for the useful info. But no, it's not a handful of M&M's, only 3, if even that. I would never waste 250 calories on sugar. Okay, more fruit, less bread. Thanks!

Jo said...

@Glenn - Thanks, I will take a look.

Jo said...

@Patrick - Thanks for the verification about the cheesecake. I had heard that new info but couldn't find out if it was true. ;-)

Abbie said...

I would say always eat the cheesecake ;o)

Seriously, though, I agree with Allan. More protein! Aim to make your breakfasts at around 300 calories/day. I eat oatmeal every morning, which keeps me full until my 10:30 snack. katheatsrealfood.com has a whole page just dedicated to the yummy ways to make oatmeal. Always think of how to get more bang for your buck when eating. Which will keep you fuller longer?

Hope this helps :o)

Sharon said...

Hi Jo, I, too, am working with a 1200 calorie plan and in general, my daily food looks a lot like yours. I do try to have a serving and fruit and veggies with every meal. Because of the density, those help fill me up and make me feel as if I'm eating more food. If I'm eating well at meals and eating my meals at regular intervals, I rarely need to snack in between. The meals keep me satisfied until the next one.

Since you are using whole-grain, low cal bread options, I'd keep them in my eating plan. They help with the "full" feeling.

Good post. Caused me to compare and evaluate my own plan which we all need to do from time to time. Keeps us out of ruts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo, I think you're doing quite well. I do agree with Allan (of course, I'm paid too), more fruit and veggies. Good thing that you've nixed the sweets. They are too dangerous. The only other thing I'd really keep my eye on is eating out. I see that you estimate a lot of calories for eating at restaurants, which is wise. I just don't trust those sneaky so & so's. Too much fat. Too much sodium. Unfortunately, they don't have our best interests at heart.

TinaM said...

I am no expert, FOR SURE. But in reading different blogs, it seems like under 1500 calories isn't enough... and if you do end up indulging (like cheesecake) Your body hoards the calories and makes it hard to loose... But since you don't post what you eat often, maybe you don't go off track much...
Maybe extra healthy snacks throughout the day? like fruit or whatever? Instead of adding them to a meal, spread them out? They say eating 5 or 6 times a day keeps your metabolism up, and you can burn more calories...
Over all, I think you are doing a GREAT job. And even though the scale didn't go down this week, look at all the things you can do and how much better you feel!!!! That's what really counts :) Keep up the great work!!!

TinaM said...

Oh another thing, "For God's Sakes, EAT THE YOLKS!!!" hahaha :) Not my words, I recently heard them say that on the show The Doctors, they went on about how people need to stop throwing away the yolks, because of all the health benefits... I know people will disagree :) Just sharing what I heard!

Jo said...

@TinaM - I'm undecided about the yolks. I guess it's like red meat...moderation. I have been told by a dietician to eat 1,800 calories, but I chose not to take the advice. Maybe when I'm exercising more.

@Sharon - I try not to eat much bread, but when I do, yes, it's multi- or whole grain.

@Abbie - More cheesecake, more protein. I like that advice.

@JustMe - I have restaurant meals 2 times per week on average, so I think I'm okay there if I watch it. I know I need more fruits, but I don't really care for fruit. But I'm trying

Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I ate 1/4 of a bag of chocolate chips the other day, I ate junk yesterday and today's meal consists of Costco samples for lunch and baked beans for dinner so I am in no shape for advise at the moment.

1200 is good to shoot for that's for sure, if you are finding yourself hungry though, I agree, more protein, less bread.

And by all means, eat cheesecake. Gosh, I haven't had cheesecake in MONTHS. Now THAT would be a worthwile splurge.

Jo said...

@Debbie - I think it would do us all good to get together for just one afternoon and have the cheesecake. I know it would make me a nicer person.

Michele said...

HI Jo,
First, thanks for following my blog.

Next: I am a super slow loser, too of weight. I blogged about this recently (see my posts about 12 pounds lost, if you like: http://ruminationsasiuncoverthewomanwithin.blogspot.com/2010/08/moving-from-fantasy-to-realism-in.html). I am also in my 50s and our bodies are just different in they way they metabolize food than when we were younger.

I think your overall caloric intake is good, but my question is: How much exercise are you getting? It is the combination of low calorie with regular exercise that is making the difference for me.

I agree with the comments above: eat the cheese cake, just plan for it. When you do include the cheesecake calories as part of your daily budget. You will not feel deprived (and will stick to this journey longer) if you treat yourself to the foods you like.

I agree with the comment above: drink water and coffee when you go out. Actually avoid eating out and less you are certain about the calories. Do you really want to eat 1000 calories for lunch? I don't think so. Stay strong. Michele

Jo said...

@Michelle - I am walking 2 to 3 miles per day and just beginning to ride my new bike. I am an active person, don't mind taking the stairs and parking away from the store I am going to. Some days I get my walking done behind the push mower. I love mowing and pulling weeds. It's my therapy.

I only have restaurant food 2, maybe 3 times per week, and just almost never fast food, unless there is nothing else available.

Yes, it's just more difficult to lose weight the older we get. I wish I could convince the younger folks of this.

Thanks for your suggestions!