Monday, August 16, 2010

A Word on Followers

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I have had this post in my head for awhile and was not sure if I could convey my feelings properly. I'm still not sure, but I'm ready to try.

I love my followers. I love my readers who just stop by to leave a word and then are gone. I love doing the same for the blogs I follow, as well as the others I just stop by and visit.

I decided when I started this blog that I would not tell my family or friends about it. I thought if I did, I would be writing "to" them, not "for" me. I still feel that way. (I did tell one relative, who is also interested in nutrition, and I did tell one friend, who is a writing and grammer professional.)

I felt lonely at first, as if no one was reading, and no one was ever going to read. Then I had a couple of followers. Then a couple more. Then there were twenty, and now there are thirty!

I feel a lot of caring and support coming from you. I hope you feel the same from me. Hopefully you think I am usually positive, genuine and truthful. Hopefully you know I will sometimes give you a kick in the pants when you need it. Or send you a hug, a slap on the back, a shoulder to cry on.

You know I do not judge you. We are the way we are, we all have our private problems, and life is hard. So when we have those NSV's or lose that 1/100th of a pound, we need to do the Happy Dance and celebrate the good times! And when we have a gain, we need to take a time out, change strategy, or start over.

I am so, so happy that there are thirty people who perhaps have the same goals as I have, or who are near the same point in their journeys as I am. Or maybe we're near the same age. Or maybe we just connect in some nice, funny or weird way.

I want you to be here because you are interested in my thoughts about health, exercise, and nutrition, and why it's so important to get your weight under control NOW, no matter what your age or place in life. It's never too late to start eating the foods that are good for you, in the appropriate quantities, and to start moving your body.

If you are reading this, we are all in it together. We we may have different "plans" or "paths" to get there, but we all have a lot in common.

Let's keep lighting fires under each other, and reminding each other, "Don't eat that!" and making gentle and not-so-gentle reminders to get back on the wagon and back in the road.

Again, thank you for reading, and for helping me remember that this is not a diet, it is a way of life.

9 comments:

Helen said...

I have one person who I know IRL who knows about my blog. She found me sort of by accident. Other than that, I really don't want family, friends, etc. to know about it. It's my place to let it all hang out and I'm afraid if they know, I won't. Because really, no matter what people say, they just can't keep things to themselves...

Tammy said...

Awwwww....what an awesome post. I'm happy to be one of your followers!!! :)

Shauna said...

That's so great that you say that. I found you through another blog that I follow and haven't had the opportunity to comment before now. But you're in my feed reader...so I'm following your posts now! It's great to get to know you!

Shane G. said...

great post Jo. I actually have more followers than I show because i post the link to each blog on Facebook. I am often shocked to find that so many people read my blog! I have even been told I was a very good writer, but who knows, it is friends.

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

I love my followers too - happy to be here!

Andrew said...

I blogged for about a month before I "outed" myself on facebook. What I really like is when friends of friends start reading, then friends of friends of friends then... you get the idea.

Also, you were the closest to guessing my weigh-in weight. I'll be sure to enter you in my blog post tonight.

MB said...

I feel honored to be one of your loyal followers. You can kick me in the pants anytime ;)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I haven't told too many personal friends about the dieting blog. I don't have any friends who really GET it. The ones who want to lose weight are not the same as me. I LOVE when I get a comment from a reader who tells me JUST what I need to hear at JUST the right moment!! I love reading an inspiring post and feeling confident and so glad that those feelings are NOT only mine. I SO know what you mean. I have not lost really any weight since I've started the blog but I am POSITIVE that I would have gained if I did not have the blog so THAT is an accomplishment for me. You keep it up!!

TinaM said...

Great post :)
I haven't told any family and friends about mine either... I feel I can be completely honest, and if I thought they were reading I might hold back... No, I WOULD hold back.
But Now I have blogger friends that are so supportive and I couldn't ask for more :)