I am running late with my update because I had too much Mother's Day goodness, but it was very nice. I hope all of you had a great Mother's Day, too.
We started celebrating on Friday. Husband took me out for a nice lunch and a shopping trip. He has a sprained ankle, so he had to put in extra effort to get me to the mall. I only needed to go to two stores in close proximity of each other, so he was fine on a bench. Saturday we did some things around the house together. It seems we work better as a team than on our own with some tasks. Sunday was a restful day with a light brunch and the afternoon get-together with friends to look forward to. It was raining, so we had a picnic on their screened porch. I did eat a hamburger and just a few chips, but only had a taste of the other goodies - potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs, coleslaw, cold bean salad, and had no pasta salad or pecan pie. Potato salad is one of my faves, so it was difficult to resist diving right into the bowl. But I did. My calories for the day ended at only 930, so you can see that I saved them for the picnic meal!
So here's how I did:
My average daily calories for the week were 1205. My target is 1200 to 1400. There were two days in which I went over 1400. There was one day under 1000. I had three restaurant meals during the week, which is two over what I prefer, which is only one per week. I did try to make good choices, and this is getting easier. I have learned to feel no guilt by leaving restaurant food on the plate, even though I paid for it. This is a biggie for me, as in the past I would either eat it all or take it home and eat it a couple of hours later. I have learned that the ingredients in restaurant food are most likely not good for me, so leaving them does me a huge favor. (At least, that's what I am telling myself!)
Other nutrition for the week was good. I ate more salads with spinach, egg whites, tomatoes, and whatever fresh veggies I had on hand, and left off the cheese entirely. I tried to eat more fruit, although some of it was dried, and I know to limit that. I had breakfast veggie and fruit smoothies on three mornings. I haven't hit upon the perfect recipe yet, but I will keep trying.
Hydration was not as good this week, but I'm certain that I am drinking more than 64 oz of liquids, if not all of it is water. There are absolutely no sodas or diet sodas in my life, and haven't been for quite some time.
Exercise was good this week, but not great. I can do much better, but I'm just glad I'm getting out there and walking the neighborhood, and doing a little running, too. This is an area that will always need improvement for me.
I have supported some of you, but honestly, I have done more reading than commenting. This is due to me reading from my phone instead of the computer, and it's not easy to do much commenting via the phone. So don't think I'm not keeping up with you. I am.
My goals for last week:
- Continue researching on how to lower my cholesterol. DONE, and still working on it.
- Take vitamins and supplements. DONE.
- Add 5 minutes to exercise time every day. Sort of DONE, but not every time.
- Read nutrition labels on everything I eat that has a label. DONE. And was quite interesting.
For the remainder of the Challenge, I plan to continue with my healthy habits. Journalling everything I eat, continuing to exercise, staying hydrated, eating as clean as possible, with very little sugar, very little bread, and no added salt. Oh, and keeping my portions small. I think if I remember to do these basic things, along with a little extra effort now and then, I will be able to maintain my weight within 5 lbs or so. Yes, I want to lose this 5 lbs I have gained over the past few weeks of taking meds for respiratory problems, but that will come.
Thanks to all of you who have supported me for the past 2+ years. It means a lot for you to remember some of my obstacles, as well as my goals, without me mentioning them in every boring post. And of course I am grateful for all the new friends I am making along the way. I hope that occasionally I say something to help you, too.
I hope everyone has a great week!
So here's how I did:
My average daily calories for the week were 1205. My target is 1200 to 1400. There were two days in which I went over 1400. There was one day under 1000. I had three restaurant meals during the week, which is two over what I prefer, which is only one per week. I did try to make good choices, and this is getting easier. I have learned to feel no guilt by leaving restaurant food on the plate, even though I paid for it. This is a biggie for me, as in the past I would either eat it all or take it home and eat it a couple of hours later. I have learned that the ingredients in restaurant food are most likely not good for me, so leaving them does me a huge favor. (At least, that's what I am telling myself!)
Other nutrition for the week was good. I ate more salads with spinach, egg whites, tomatoes, and whatever fresh veggies I had on hand, and left off the cheese entirely. I tried to eat more fruit, although some of it was dried, and I know to limit that. I had breakfast veggie and fruit smoothies on three mornings. I haven't hit upon the perfect recipe yet, but I will keep trying.
Hydration was not as good this week, but I'm certain that I am drinking more than 64 oz of liquids, if not all of it is water. There are absolutely no sodas or diet sodas in my life, and haven't been for quite some time.
Exercise was good this week, but not great. I can do much better, but I'm just glad I'm getting out there and walking the neighborhood, and doing a little running, too. This is an area that will always need improvement for me.
I have supported some of you, but honestly, I have done more reading than commenting. This is due to me reading from my phone instead of the computer, and it's not easy to do much commenting via the phone. So don't think I'm not keeping up with you. I am.
My goals for last week:
- Continue researching on how to lower my cholesterol. DONE, and still working on it.
- Take vitamins and supplements. DONE.
- Add 5 minutes to exercise time every day. Sort of DONE, but not every time.
- Read nutrition labels on everything I eat that has a label. DONE. And was quite interesting.
For the remainder of the Challenge, I plan to continue with my healthy habits. Journalling everything I eat, continuing to exercise, staying hydrated, eating as clean as possible, with very little sugar, very little bread, and no added salt. Oh, and keeping my portions small. I think if I remember to do these basic things, along with a little extra effort now and then, I will be able to maintain my weight within 5 lbs or so. Yes, I want to lose this 5 lbs I have gained over the past few weeks of taking meds for respiratory problems, but that will come.
Thanks to all of you who have supported me for the past 2+ years. It means a lot for you to remember some of my obstacles, as well as my goals, without me mentioning them in every boring post. And of course I am grateful for all the new friends I am making along the way. I hope that occasionally I say something to help you, too.
I hope everyone has a great week!

6 comments:
Wow! You had a really great week. Keep up the good work in week 8. :)
It's so good to see that someone had a good week this week!
You're always so supportive. It's so helpful to know that someone is reading and keeping an eye on me. :) I only hope that I can offer you the same sense of friendship and camaraderie.
You're doing great! I can't wait to hear about your findings on lowering your cholesterol-mine was 243 last summer! YEP! I think that's close to maybe a heart attack or stroke level??? I'm 5'1 and weighed 165. I started running in January-weigh 128 now so SURELY it's lower! :)
Shannon
http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com
Figuring out how to manage portions is a huge step in the right direction. I still have a lot of difficulty doing that!
Well done on hitting your goals for week 7! Hope week 8 has been just as good :)
Such self-control you have! I admire that you stay around 1200 calories day in, day out! I can see that if I want to weigh ~135, that's how much I'd be able to eat too. I have a really tough time getting down that low. Good thing my goal is 170, not 135!
You had a fantastic week. I envy that self-control :D
Post a Comment