For the final week of the Challenge, I am trying to continue with what I call my "healthy habits" that have brought me this far. Not only this far in the Challenge, but this far in my quest for healthy, which has been running for over two years now. Before that, I did try to stay healthy and active, but I was not doing some things I should, and I was doing some things I should not. And until two years ago, I had never counted calories, made a concentrated effort to eat fruits and veggies, drunk enough plain water, or sought out information about health and nutrition. So in the past two years I have become smarter about what is good for my body, and how it reacts to what I put in it and how I treat it.
I am also hungry for knowledge. My bookcase is filled with books on nutrition, diets, running, walking, health topics, healthy recipes, and such. I am certainly a believer of "knowledge is power." Especially when it comes to my own health. I want to know what to expect as I grow older, and if I come down with a health problem, I want to have resources to find out everything I can about it.
I have listed these healthy habits before, but in case you missed them, here they are again. These are the basics:
- Journal food, water and exercise
- Target of 1200 calories per day, cycling to 1500 a couple of days per week
- At least 64 oz. of pure water daily, with 84 oz targeted when needed, as in warmer weather or increased exercise
- Eat more protein, fewer carbs, and more raw vegetables
- No sugar, no diet soda
- Take vitamins and supplements daily
- Focus on portion control, and no seconds
Some of you have suggested that I increase my calories due to my recent gain of 5 lbs or so. I have done this and would like to know what you think. Here are my daily calories for this past week:
S 1340
M 885
T 1135
W 1845
Th 1840
F 1100
S 1060
This is an average of 1315 per day.
According to the scale, I have lost less than .5 lb this week. So I can assume the calorie cycling neither made me gain nor lose. However, as I have been slowly gaining, a loss of .5 lb is very welcome! My inclination is to take it a week at a time, as long as there is no drastic change either way.
I need your help here. Should I try it for another week? Two? Should I try for 2000 calories one day? I don't know if there is a "proper" way to do calorie cycling, so I would appreciate your thoughts. Also, I will Google it and see what I get there.
My mini-challenge of drinking more water is going well. For the past week I have had well over 64 oz of water per day.
I know we have a week left in the Challenge, but I would like to thank you all for your support for the past nine weeks. I have enjoyed getting to know you and have learned from the experience. I wish you well in your quest for health and fitness.
- Journal food, water and exercise
- Target of 1200 calories per day, cycling to 1500 a couple of days per week
- At least 64 oz. of pure water daily, with 84 oz targeted when needed, as in warmer weather or increased exercise
- Eat more protein, fewer carbs, and more raw vegetables
- No sugar, no diet soda
- Take vitamins and supplements daily
- Focus on portion control, and no seconds
Some of you have suggested that I increase my calories due to my recent gain of 5 lbs or so. I have done this and would like to know what you think. Here are my daily calories for this past week:
S 1340
M 885
T 1135
W 1845
Th 1840
F 1100
S 1060
This is an average of 1315 per day.
According to the scale, I have lost less than .5 lb this week. So I can assume the calorie cycling neither made me gain nor lose. However, as I have been slowly gaining, a loss of .5 lb is very welcome! My inclination is to take it a week at a time, as long as there is no drastic change either way.
I need your help here. Should I try it for another week? Two? Should I try for 2000 calories one day? I don't know if there is a "proper" way to do calorie cycling, so I would appreciate your thoughts. Also, I will Google it and see what I get there.
My mini-challenge of drinking more water is going well. For the past week I have had well over 64 oz of water per day.
I know we have a week left in the Challenge, but I would like to thank you all for your support for the past nine weeks. I have enjoyed getting to know you and have learned from the experience. I wish you well in your quest for health and fitness.

11 comments:
At your weight, a half pound loss can be considered significant. Try the cycling a bit longer. Give it a fair shot. I wouldn't go up to 2000 unless you do a much lower day to alternate, but maybe bumpt to 1800 if you tend to do 1000 days, too.
Best, babe.
Jo, you're doing a great job. I think your strategies make sense. I agree w the previous commenter that a .5 loss is good. I don't count calories, but do plan in a higher point day once or twive per week.
Jo!!! .5 is awesome!! I know its so scarey to add calories!! Thats what got us into this mess!! BUT, when I went from 1200 ave to 1800 ave I was amazed!! When I do lots of exercise I stay on the upper end. When I have an easier day, I stay on the lower end. Its amazing how confusing this whole thing can be!! Have a wonderful last week of challenge!!
Well how about THAT??? Mir is right: at your current weight, 0.5 pound is a significant percentage!
You have a great plan: knowledge IS power!!
I think your calories average out to a healthy number. I think you should stick to this for at least another week (or two) and see how it goes. So many other factors have an impact as well - exercise, sleep quality, and stress levels. Maybe keeping track of those will help you get a better idea of what's going on. Good luck for week 10 :)
I think your calories average out to a healthy number. I think you should stick to this for at least another week (or two) and see how it goes. So many other factors have an impact as well - exercise, sleep quality, and stress levels. Maybe keeping track of those will help you get a better idea of what's going on. Good luck for week 10 :)
TBH at the weight you are and so close to goal you aren't eating enough to lose weight. 1300 cals a day is just over the lowest cal anyone should be eating, 0.5 a lb a week is quite realistic a goal for someone with only 5lbs left to lose.
You can't decide results from one week of experiments as there are so many variables, I would give it a month before you give up.
I did always wonder how you could make it on so few calories. I think the boost in cals is good. Have a great last week of this challenge! Thank- you too for all your support and encouragement sent my way.
Just stopping by to wish you well in this final week of the challenge. I think you've done very well. :)
DITTO on what everyone said. You really are doing awesome. It's hard to know what to do but you have lots of great advice to on. Keep up the great work.
Blessings my friend!
0.5 is a good loss, it just takes your body a little while to adjust. I would say stick with the change where it is for another week or 2. Great job on completing the challenge!
Post a Comment