Thursday, October 11, 2012

Update

Juicer:  I have looked around and probably will just keep the blender I have for now.  If we find a real need, I have done the research and will be ready to purchase.  Thanks for your suggestions - I did look into everything you suggested.

What I am eating:  This week it has been protein bars, salads, canned soup, tuna salad, PB sandwiches and omelets.  I have very little appetite, and it is difficult to eat in front of Hubs, since he can't swallow food.  I am trying to remember to take my supplements and am not eating fast food.  I do not like eating processed food, but convenience and being so tired at the end of the days is trumping home preparation most of the time.  I am preparing salads at home, along with some veggie omelets.

Last week I dropped two pounds and I have no idea about weight change this week, but probably a small loss.  I am not concerned, as this is what I do when I am in such an emotional state.  I did get a flu shot, am trying to get enough rest, am eating "some" veggies and nutritious food, and am trying to take care of myself so I can be a healthy caregiver.

Hubs:  He will begin chemotherapy on Tuesday and radiation a few days later.  They will be given at the same time, not consecutively.  Radiation will be 5 days per week for (estimated) 28 treatments, and chemotherapy will be once per week and we do not know yet how many weeks.  So far the medical people have been just wonderful to work with.  We have been in a whirlwind of doctor visits, tests, scans, outpatient surgery, and diagnoses.  Because of his swallowing distress, they have sped up the process and worked other patients around getting him into treatment, and for that we are both most grateful.  He is still on an emotional roller coaster, but is more hopeful every day.

Loved ones:  Our friends and families want so much to help, but since he can't eat, and I have been transporting him, there is not much for others to do at this time.  I do welcome (later) the offer of transportation by his friends, because I believe "man talk" is important for him, and to be away from me for awhile.  I will let him make that call, because I do not want to upset him further by not being by his side, even though I know it would be good for both of us.  I am not at the point where I can let go yet, either.  We do have nice neighbors who have fed our cats and gotten our mail.  His friends are dropping by one or two at a time, and his family members are taking turns calling him each day and that designated person is communicating with the others, which I think is very thoughtful.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and well wishes.  I have a wonderful family in Blogville and your encouragement and suggestions mean a lot.  I have to tell you that I am quite concerned about him being so frail already, and going into such debilitating treatment.  However, he is healthy otherwise, and that is reassuring for now.


7 comments:

Sharon said...

Jo, I am here as always. I am praying. I care. I am so, so sorry. Life is so very fragile.

downsizers said...

I have been praying for you and your husband. I know you, your husband, and his doctors/nurses are doing all that can be done. That's all we can do and continue to pray. Keep us posted.

Angela Pea said...

All I can do from here is pray, and know that prayer is a powerful thing! Hang tight, Jo, get your rest and a few calories in you. You're doing just fine.

Mir aka Princess Dieter said...

God's graces and mercies just rain down upon you both. And yes, this event--it's normal to lose your appetite and drop. Just do remember to eat enough for energy and health, and you MUST keep up your strength and stamina.

Be strong and very courageous, which you sure are in this bad time.

God bless, sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are getting some nutrition and got your flu shot. You are gonna need your strength.

I think you are doing remarkably well during what I know has to be incredible stress.

God bless you, your hubs and the doctors. I am thinking of you.

Julie said...

You and hubs are in my prayers. Stay strong Jo and take care of you both. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Blessings my friend!

Michele said...

I'm thinking about you two every day. Glad your eating something. Sending another hug your way!