Have I mentioned the new addition to our family?
Meet GracieBelle
Our 10-week-old Maltese
We got Gracie a couple of weeks before the cancer diagnosis. Looking back, it was a mistake. But it can't be undone, and we love her, of course. She is a sweetie. We do have someone who is taking care of her for us, as Husband is quite anxious during this time and she is a real hazard for falling when she chases feet and shoelaces!
It has been over a week since I posted. And it seems I have been in a whirlwind.
First, the health and weight report:
Weight: 141 the last time I weighed (5 days ago). My "dream" is to be 135 and be able to maintain. I have pulled away from the focus of my weight in order to be caregiver. There is too much to learn in the new role, and not enough time in a day to focus on both caregiving and weight. However, I have not lost focus of my health.
Calories: I am not tracking, but my best guess is around 1000 per day.
Hydration: Good, not great.
Exercise: No dedicated exercise, just a lot of running around to appointments and errands.
The last I told you was that Husband had started his chemo. It is going well. He is on his second bag of chemo meds that are administered through a pump and port and he gets it 24/7. He has only been sick once! It may hit with a vengeance after I post this, but so far he has not had the dreaded side effects. Sadly, he is the same weight as me, and certainly doesn't need to lose any more.
He is one week into six weeks of radiation. He is just beginning to have some new pain he believes is due to the radiation. It is severe, but doesn't last long and doesn't come often.
This past Monday he got a feeding tube. It malfunctioned and today he had it repaired. An almost painless (well, for me, at least) outpatient procedure. He is now home and resting.
The plan is for the chemo and radiation to shrink the tumor, then for it to be removed, and his stomach to be pulled up and attached to what is left of his esophagus. He will eat small and often meals. If all goes well, the surgery should be in January and the feeding tube removed at the end of treatments, probably after 6 weeks or so.
I do not want to bore you with details. I just want you to know where I am and that I have not fallen off the health wagon. My food is mostly fruit and protein bars, with salads and raw vegs as I can conveniently work them in. I have eaten fast food a couple of times, but it is not a habit. I am trying to hold cooking odors to a minimum, and it is difficult to eat in front of Husband, as he is on liquids. Soup is my dinner most evenings. I pick out the noodles or rice and eat mostly the veggies. I have a neighbor who thinks I don't eat unless she cooks for me, so it is good for her to have something to do, as well as for me to have some "real" food prepared with love.
Thanks for the encouragement you have given me, and for the prayers and good vibes for both Husband and me. Although I am not posting much, I am lurking and reading every day. I will post as I can.
There is a rant coming regarding friends who care too much and check in too often, and another rant regarding medical offices who do not return calls and coordinate with other doctors involved in the case, but they are both for another time. Honestly, they are not even important, just for me to vent.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
14 comments:
Just catching up - warm thoughts being sent from New Zealand. Vent away - that's what we're here for! Gracie looks adorable. Take care of yourself and yay for neighbours xx
We are here for whatever you care to share, chatter about or vent. I am glad hubs is okay. You are working on taking care of you and him. I can't imagine, all I can do is pray and pray hard that all is well day to day. Take care Jo and find some silver thread in the clouds today, it's there. Blessings my friend!
What an adorable puppy. I am just catching up on your news. So sorry. I will add you guys to my prayer list. :(
Prayers, thoughts, more prayers on the way to your husband and family. Chemo, been there, just as potent as the chemo is the support of loved ones. It's a family fight, and it will be a family victory!
Thinking of you two. January will be here before you know it!
Neighbors and friends can be held at bay if you tell them he needs rest so no coming unless invited and to use email instead of phone (if you need that).You appreciate their concern and need to know and help, but recovery and rest...
They WILL honor it if you tell them.
Glad you are eating well! There is at least one thing you can control right now!
Prayers.
Wow, I have not been by in a while! I am so sorry to hear about your husband! It must be very hard...I will be praying for you and your husband and your whole family. It's amazing that you are keeping up with your health..but you really need to as so much is depending on it. I hope that puppy gives you some comfort. Hang in there.
Hello, Friend!
You are doing an amazing job. I continue to pray for you and your family.
Hey Jo,
I've been away for a while and just got caught up on your news. Please know that I will keep you two in my prayers. Every day. It sounds like you both have such a good outlook and plan for getting through this. Loved the Churchill quote. Keep on going. Indeed. Hugs.
Just checking in Jo. Wanted to see how things are going. Praying well or at least holding their own.
Take care my friend. Blessings and prayers!
I haven't been reading or writing much but was glad to see your update. Very happy to hear that you are both adjusting and have plans laid for the future. Keep us posted as you are able. :)
I hope things are looking up for you and your husband. Times like these are really hard on everyone involved. Hang in there and keep the faith. Vent as much as you want. I'm sure your readers won't mind.
Thinking about you, Jo.
Same here Jo. Thinking about you and praying you both are hanging in there.
Blessings!
Just checking in to see if you updated. Yes, caregiving is...consuming. It doesn't leave time, not a lot, for self-care. I remember. Well. Right now, the priority is hubby, but you already know that your health matters, for you and for him. If you get ill, he suffers. Just as his illness, brings you pain. So, take care, the both of you. God bring health, strenth, healing and graces as needed.
Check in soon.
Mir/Princess Dieter
Post a Comment