It seems to be getting longer and longer between posts, and I apologize for the lack of participation.
Thank you for asking for an update of Husband's illness. You know that is the focus of my existence now, and not so much on my own health and weight maintenance. I have not completely lost sight of it, however, and know full well that I cannot be of any help to Husband if I am not well myself.
He is having a rough time. A week ago his feeding tube became blocked for the second time. This time I was not able to get it unblocked, nor were the home health nurses, nor were the hospital radiologists, nor were the emergency room nurses. Finally, after 30 hours of no nutrition, liquid, nor meds, he was sent back to hospital radiology to get the tube replaced. This was quite painful for him, as they did not call in anesthesiology, but he was very happy to get it done and get some formula into his belly again.
Then early Saturday morning he fell in the bathroom and I couldn't get him up. I made sure he had not broken anything, then called a neighbor to help me get him back to the bed. Although he did hit his head, he refused to go to get checked over. I did not insist because we have an agreement in regards to medical treatment if we are able to make the decision for ourselves, plus we have living wills, medical powers of attorney, and last wills and testaments. A situation came up a few years ago and we got everything in line at that time. Anyway, I respected his wish of not wanting to go to get checked after falling. However, he became just a bit disoriented, and was running a fever of 100 degrees. Enough to be concerned, but not enough to be alarmed about. Sunday was only a bit better, and by late Sunday evening I knew he needed medical attention.
Early Monday I arranged for one of his friends to help me transport him to the PCP's office, and for his favorite uncle to come and be with both of us. I expected him to be hospitalized and thought I might need backup. They did a blood test and it showed infection (probably urinary) and sent him to the hospital ICU. He spent the night and came home today. He was diagnosed with sepsis, dehydration, and his white count is low, all side effects of the chemotherapy. Due to the risk of infection in a hospital environment, he was sent home with antibiotics and electrolytes, and we were instructed to keep his environment as germ-free as possible, and to avoid crowds, etc. Visitors need to be kept at a minimum, and not hug and shake hands. So...we have decided on NO visitors, except for three special people, and for them to keep their distance. I am a clean freak and compulsive counter wiper and hand washer, and you know my favorite household job is laundry, so we are relatively germ-free here.
I am worried sick about him, but we are doing the best we can to keep our sense of humor. The sponge baths, teeth brushing, and tube feedings at 2:00 a.m. are labors of love. He is a good patient and knows I am totally devoted to helping him through this. The day I told him, "I will go through hell beside you," and he decided to go forward with treatment was a moment in our marriage that I will cherish forever.
I am worried sick about him, but we are doing the best we can to keep our sense of humor. The sponge baths, teeth brushing, and tube feedings at 2:00 a.m. are labors of love. He is a good patient and knows I am totally devoted to helping him through this. The day I told him, "I will go through hell beside you," and he decided to go forward with treatment was a moment in our marriage that I will cherish forever.
As a side note, and since this is a health-related blog, last week I had a routine appointment with my PCP for med refills. I was not shocked when I got the call that my cholesterol had increased from 249 to 258 (should be less than 200), and my LDL had increased from 130 to 172 (should be under 100)! Additionally, my HDL had decreased from 71 to 55 (the higher the better, but should be at least 46). It seemed just another kick in the stomach. I am assuming it it due to the focus coming off my health and on husband's cancer diagnosis. My nutrition has suffered, dedicated exercise is missing, and my stress level is, well, you get the picture.
Although I am not posting regularly, I am lurking around and leaving a few brief comments. Again, thank you for your continued prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts and encouragement. If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate your ideas. If you have been down this road and have any helpful hints or shortcuts, all are welcome.
Although I am not posting regularly, I am lurking around and leaving a few brief comments. Again, thank you for your continued prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts and encouragement. If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate your ideas. If you have been down this road and have any helpful hints or shortcuts, all are welcome.
10 comments:
Be sure to talk to his oncologist about the new problems.
My God Jo my heart goes out to you two. I cannot imagine how much of a comfort you must be to your husband right now. Lean on your three special people.
Thinking and praying for you and your hubs.
Munch
Thank you for the update. This seems like too much to bear at times I am sure. I wish I had the words that you need to hear. I wish I had the words to make this easier. I can only hope that by letting you know I am thinking about you and your husband that the load will be a little easier to bear.
Pease know I am holding you and your husband in my heart and prayers thru this difficult time.
Me too Jo. You both are in my heart and prayers.
The only thing I know is that pumpkin seed oil is awesome for the chemo side effects, like upset stomach, headaches and such. My best friend had to go through all of that and found that it really helped.
Take care Jo. I really wish .... well lots and lots I wish for you both. Blessings!
Jo I am just now seeing your post and haven't posted anything on mine well for a very long time...anyway I am so very sorry to read this about your hubby...My heart goes out to you and him both..I will keep you both in my prayers.. we are going through this cancer stuff right now with my uncle..just getting ready to start the chemo...Hugs to you...one thing you do have to remember..is you do need time to get away even if for an hour..Let someone help you..you wont be any good getting worn down...We have delt with this taking care of our loved ones...Mentally and physically you get drained..Dont be hard on yourself...Just a little tip from someone who has been there with loved ones...
I haven't been down the road you are on, but I am so sorry you are both going through this and I sincerely hope for the best for you! You're in my thoughts!
I am mostly staying away from the computer too but this was a day to catch up with the blogs I love to read. Hang in there, Jo, and God bless. I cannot imagine how stressful this all is for you and your husband. Hugs.
(((((hugs)))))))
You are in my thoughts and prayers
Jo,
I've only been minimally aware of what is going on with you and your husband. I am so sorry you are going through something so horrible. I will pray for both of you and will watch for your posts so I can offer what support I can. Even though Dail has left me I would rather be in this situation than to have him seriously ill and at risk of losing his life. Take care of yourself. God is with you.
Hugs.
My heart remains heavy for you. Feel my strength and kind thoughts coming your way via this little message.
Post a Comment