Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 10 In the Books

If you are new around here, I am on a quest to lower my cholesterol for better health.  Ten days ago I set out on a quest to eat less animal products, more fruits and veggies.  I would eventually like to get to vegan, but I'm not there yet.

My Day 10 of semi-vegetarian is over, and it is getting easier.  The fruits are tasting better to me.  Veggies are plentiful at my house.  I am making better choices when eating away from home.  Yesterday I had lunch at a buffet-style restaurant where they serve you.  (NOT all-you-can-eat, serve yourself.)  I chose grilled catfish, steamed lemon broccoli, and baked sweet potato fries, with a small spinach salad on the side.  I was not miserably stuffed, I had no digestive problems, and I ended the day feeling that I had had a good day, food-wise.  I had eaten fruit for breakfast, almonds for snack, and dinner was 1 oz of beef (husband insists on beef at most of our dinners) and a large salad with spring greens, tomatoes, carrots, and cucumber.

Yes, I can do better.  But it was nice to not feel as if I had blown it yet again with my food.  I hope this means I am getting smarter and my willpower is getting stronger, focusing more on the good-for-me foods and not so much on the calories, although I am still journaling my food.

I am looking ahead to food for the weekend and am trying to plan tasty food that is on my plan.  Let the rest eat hot dogs and chips!

5 comments:

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Jo,
Your food sounds wonderful and healthy to me. I'm not sure of the benefits to your cholesterol by going vegetarian or vegan. It sounds like you are eating balances meals and that makes good sense to me. I wish you the best. :)

Anonymous said...

Jo, sounds like you're doing well. I think you being conscious of what you're eating will be a big help in accomplishing your health goals.

Wendy said...

keep it up your doing awesome! now just bottle some of your awesome up and send it my way! it seems the harder i try the harder i fail these days.

Michele said...

10 days is great! As time goes on, you will find it easier. Have a great weekend!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Good for you! Stay focused and away from the hotdogs. Actually, my kids were just watching a show called How It's Made and they were making hot dogs! So if I am ever even tempted, I will totally remember that GOOP they showed! It looked like chocolate ice cream only it was "meat". Ewwwwww!