In the previous couple of posts, I told you that my cholesterol is still high, after a year of diet and exercise. Again, thank you for your input. I have looked at the links you suggested and researched several well-known websites, including American Heart Association and Mayo Clinic. I have looked back at research I had previously done on high triglycerides, high cholesterol, heart disease, Mediterranean Diet, TLC Diet, and various supplements suggested to help control the problem.
The thing is, sometimes I am obsessed about getting healthy, but other times I wonder how important that total cholesterol number really is, when you consider my now "normal" weight, active lifestyle, focus on healthy eating, and non-smoker status. I sometimes think the whole cholesterol thing is a marketing tactic the drug companies have put on us to scare us and rip us off. On the other hand, I can't ignore the illnesses and deaths in my mother's family due to heart disease. So, what to do?
I have decided to try to eat a vegetarian/vegan diet for the next month or two, keep up my research, and get another lipid panel done a couple of months from now. This will not be such a far cry from the diet I have been following most recently, but I have never really cut out the dairy and meats. Cheese is one of my best friends! (Low fat, of course.) I have always thought chicken and fish were okay, but they are not, as far as animal fat, that is. And I have been eating too many almonds.
If I am diligent about the animal fats, dairy products, and unhealthy oils, and eat more vegetables, beans, fruits, and whole grains, it should begin to show in my bloodwork a couple of months from now. Or at least I should see a downward trend.
I will continue with my active lifestyle, watch the salt, have no sugar, no fried foods, keep up the supplements, and try to prepare my own foods. I will focus on low fat and no animal products. Drink my water, get enough sleep, alcohol in moderation (wine). I am not on a wagon, so I will not fall off. One meal including a little meat will not make me a failure. I will find a Plan B in case this makes no difference. Or I will cut myself some slack. We will see.
This is a personal challenge. I must be strong. Please help to hold me accountable.
I will try to post more often, in order to keep my focus.
3 comments:
I wish you luck on the vegan plan, Jo. I hope it works out for you. I know for my family, high cholesterol is genetic so I didn't get to stop my medication until after I had surgery. All my family members have high cholesterol except me. I was on medication for years though, before surgery. Sometimes, diet just doesn't do enough no matter how hard we try. I wish you the best.
Good luck with your new plan and you can do this.
Hey Jo, welcome to the club! I'll look forward to reading your adventures on this path we're both walking.
Post a Comment