First, a weight report:
My weight is back down from the gain of around 3 lbs while I was doing my volunteer work away from home last week. I have been back on track with my food, and journaling my calories. It certainly does feel better to be back in "normal" mode. I have learned that most foods not prepared by me do not agree with my digestion in one way or another, so it's just best for me to either eat at home, or prepare it and take it with me.
I went to see my PCP last week for follow-up (every 6 months) for blood pressure meds, and a couple of other minor things. Long story short, my cholesterol is UP, even after losing almost 40 lbs over the past year, exercising, reducing my stress, getting smarter about nutrition, asking those who know, and focusing, focusing, focusing on my health.
My numbers from 6 months ago and now:
Then Now
Total cholesterol: 240 246
HDL 58 78 (this one is great!)
LDL 139 144 (??)
I have done nothing different except continue to eat low fat, few dairy products, less red meat, less alcohol, almost no sweets, no added salt, less than 1200 calories per day, and all those good things.
I am considering throwing in the towel and taking the Lipitor. I am also considering going vegetarian for a couple of months to see if that makes any difference.
Please. Comments? Thoughts? Are you taking a statin drug? Any side effects? Has it helped? Any vegetarians out there? HELLLLLPPPPP!!!
I went to see my PCP last week for follow-up (every 6 months) for blood pressure meds, and a couple of other minor things. Long story short, my cholesterol is UP, even after losing almost 40 lbs over the past year, exercising, reducing my stress, getting smarter about nutrition, asking those who know, and focusing, focusing, focusing on my health.
My numbers from 6 months ago and now:
Then Now
Total cholesterol: 240 246
HDL 58 78 (this one is great!)
LDL 139 144 (??)
I have done nothing different except continue to eat low fat, few dairy products, less red meat, less alcohol, almost no sweets, no added salt, less than 1200 calories per day, and all those good things.
I am considering throwing in the towel and taking the Lipitor. I am also considering going vegetarian for a couple of months to see if that makes any difference.
Please. Comments? Thoughts? Are you taking a statin drug? Any side effects? Has it helped? Any vegetarians out there? HELLLLLPPPPP!!!
5 comments:
I was on statins for many years with no problem. I think it should be up to you whether or not you take meds for it. It isn't excessively high. Mine was always over 300. As far as your diet, that is really up to you too. Just remember that if you go vegetarian to make sure you get some protein from somewhere. I wish you the best of luck. :)
It's not easy to keep every factor under control Going vegetarian, or if you're really brave, vegan will almost always result in a big drop in cholesterol. You have to stay away from added oils though and even fat free products can contain fat thanks to less than stringent labeling laws. The best thing I've seen on radical control is from Dr.Esselstyn. You can go to youtube to watch a presentation he did called Heart Attack Proof - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYTf0z_zVs0
I don't think it's for everyone, it seems to be working for me, but it's radical by most standards.
If you are like my husband, high cholesterol is in his genes. He eats very well, little fat, salt, etc., basically a vegetarian and exercises regularly. He does not take cholesterol meds, but must take blood pressure and other things despite all his efforts. But, we know that it could be alot worse if he was not so vigilant. So, my advice: keep working on your fitness level. Going vegetarian could have many benefits.
I am so sorry about this Jo. We've been BlogFriends almost from the beginning and I know this has been your main focus for losing weight. I am sure that doctor visit must have been very discouraging and I am truly sorry.
No words of wisdom to offer as thank God, this is not a problem area for me. I do have a close friend whose story was very similar to yours and despite doing EVERYTHING he could, was not able to lower his cholesterol enough to satisfy his doctor. He did begin taking Lipitor and has done very well on it with no side effects.
Statin drugs made me feel horribly muscle pain for years and turn into a fricken zombie (forgetfull, needed stickies all over the house to remind me of stuff). I will never go back on them.
It's starting to be considered that the benefits of statins isn't the cholesterol reduction, but the INFLAMMATION reduction. High cholesterol in and of itself is not the risk factor.
What are you triglycerides? What is the size of your LDL? Ask the doctor to check the size of your lipoproteins/LDL to see if they are large and fluffy and neutral or small and perilous. High HDL (eating saturated fat and good fats and exercise raises this) is protective.
If your HDL is high and your triglycerides are low, the only thing left to check is the SIZE and TYPE of the LDL. That's key.
I would think warily about taking statins. Do some research first and read about the possible mishandling of info re cholesterol and heart risk. Unless the LDL is the dangerous type (small) and inflammation is rampant (get the CRP checked for inflammation), no worries.
I eat lots of fat, lots of meat (red and otherwise), can't eat seafood, gave up soy (it's an endocrine disruptor and I have Hashimoti's, though I love tofu!), and gave up grains/starches (due to their inflammatory and insulin spiking properties, as I have Metabolic Syndrome).
So, yeah, ask your doc to check LDL size, CRP for inflammation, and Vitamin D status.
Best of luck, whatevver course you take for your health. :D
Post a Comment