I have been reading your blogs and it sounds as if everyone had nice weekends taking it easy and enjoying the nice weather. It's the unofficial beginning of Summer, you know. Picnic food everywhere!
I had a good week last week with my semi-vegetarian eating. I am eating less meat, especially red meat, and when there is a choice, I choose chicken or fish, or a salad with a little of either on the side. Fruit has become more appealing to me. I am shopping the perimeter at the grocery store, staying completely away from the processed aisles. I am enjoying a little more bread than usual, which seems criminal to me since I have stayed pretty far away from bread for the past ten years or so. I still pick the edges off my sandwiches, or only eat half of the bun.
I am having the most trouble giving up cheese. I have not missed eggs and milk. I do try to have even less cheese, pick most of it off anything that it gets sprinkled on by mistake (like the grilled chicken salad I ordered a couple of days ago at a restaurant), and use 1% cheese sparingly when I just must have it.
And I do need to confess that I was invited to a neighbor's yesterday afternoon and they had HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM! Yes, I ate it. But only a small cup, not a bowl. It was heavenly! But I stopped at about 1/2 cup and then got up to wash everyone else's dishes. It seems if I don't hang around the food, and get my hands busy, it's easier to not take those extra little tastes.
So I need to work on further reducing the meat and giving up the cheese. I haven't tried soy cheese yet, but I plan to do so this week.
I am going to give this a couple of months before I get my cholesterol checked again. I will look on any improvement as a victory, after being stuck at around 240 total cholesterol for a couple of years.
I will be making more changes beginning next month, which is tomorrow! New month, new plans. If you have been with me for long, you know I like to change things around, including the furniture.
More later!
1 comment:
Jo, you sound like you're moving in the right direction and at a rate of change you're comfortable with. Cheese is the biggest complaint most new vegans would voice. Cheese has an opiate like effect on the brain, at least according to some researchers I read, and can be addictive and hard to give up. Here's a brief explanation http://green.yahoo.com/blog/care2/197/addicted-to-cheese-here-s-why.html
Post a Comment