Sunday, November 20, 2011

Christmas Dress Countdown Week 10

It's here!  Thanksgiving Week!  Do you have your plan in place?  If not, time is running out. 

I promise you will do better with a plan than flying by the seat of your pants.  PLAN on having protein.  PLAN on eating veggies and drinking your water throughout the day, especially if your big meal is late in the day.  PLAN on a sliver of dessert, but only if you must have dessert.  If you absolutely cannot do without the stuffing or the mac 'n cheese, or Aunt Sue's casserole, PLAN to only have one portion.  NO SECONDS OF ANYTHING.  Yes, I know it's only once a year.  But yes, I also know that too many carbs and sweets on this holiday can cause crazy blood sugar roller coasters and carb cravings that will last for a week or more after the big meal.  THINK ABOUT IT, people.  Is it worth it to feel so physically bad for so long afterward?  Not to mention the guilt, and the "starting over" principle.

Okay, let's move on to the Challenge update:

Weight today:  138.  Still within my maintenance range.

Dress:  I may have found THE ONE. (with the help of Mir).  Black lace, 3/4 sleeves, not too low-cut.  A little pricey, but can be worn forever.  With a cardigan, to church and funerals, as well as business dinners.

Daily Calories:  Came in under 1200 every day but one.  And it was around 1400.  Not bad.

Exercise:  Three days around the neighborhood for my 2-mile route.  One day of hospital walking, pacing, sitting, parking lot walking.  One day of mopping and drying wood floors at home.  One day of exhaustion and just reading on the couch.  (Ahhh!)

Hydration:  Just okay.  This area needs improvement.  Not bad, mind you, just can do better.

Reading:  Spending part of my reading time on weight loss and maintenance motivation, and the other part on learning how to care for my spinal cord injury patient when he comes home.

Support:  FINALLY!  I think this week I supported everyone in the Challenge, plus most of my other friends who are not in the challenge.  I felt expecially support-ful this week, for some reason.

Quitting:  What a boring thought.  I will never give up.  Never.

Oh, and if you haven't done so, please stop by and read my motivational post here.  It's not only for those in this Challenge, but for all my readers.  If you have already read it, thank you.

End of Challenge Update.
-----------------------------------------------------
So many of you have asked about my brother, so I will update here.  After his 4-day hospitalization for pneumonia, he finally got back to the rehab hospital on Thursday afternoon.  It was like coming home!  They are re-evaluating him and he is doing well.  The "real" therapy will resume tomorrow (Monday).  The shocker this week was that we were told he will not be able to drive for a couple of years.  He has not been told yet.  This will be a real problem for him.  But we hope for the best.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving week!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Jo, one question for you. Are you maintaining on 1400 calories a day or still losing a bit here and there. Just curious.
I am so glad your bother is doing better. He'll adjust to no driving but like any man no wheels is going to be hard.
Take care and have a blessed thanksgiving.

Debsdailylife said...

You are an amazing inspiration!!! Such wonderful bits of information! Great advise! I love to read your updates!!
Have a blessed Thanksgiving weekend!

Angela Pea said...

Yeah for Maintenance. Double Yeahs for your brother recovering quickly and getting back to PT. The not driving thing? It's just a conservative guess at this point, one that satisfies insurance policy holders. Brother will be evaluated as he goes along, and that time could very possibly be cut back a lot.

And yes, I have a Plan for Thanksgiving Day! All side dishes are colored veggies, no potatoes, no stuffing. I plan on a small slice of pumpkin pie, but have a longer workout scheduled on Wednesday to burn it off before I eat it.

Denise said...

That was a great reminder post to keep ourselves in control this week. It is so easy to go overboard. I'm glad to hear your brother is out of the hospital and on the mend.

Jordan said...

LOL that my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner is that I'm BRINGING dessert! I haven't decided what to make yet, but I'm thinking of something that I can eat some of relatively guilt-free, like raspberries stuffed with chocolate chips (I saw it on Pinterest), or strawberries dipped in chocolate. If I feel like I have to have seconds, I'll have salad or turkey, but NO stuffing or gravy! Good luck staying on track!

Unknown said...

Congrats to you for sticking through this with everything else you have going on! Thanks for the motivation to make good, healthy choices this holiday season:-)

Anonymous said...

I love your positive attitude. It is infectious. I can't wait to see your dress.

Karla said...

You have such a great attitude :)
There are blessing even in times of hardship, we just have to look closer
Glad your brother is doing better
Driving is over-rated :p