Thursday, November 10, 2011

Holiday Eating Strategy

The holidays are coming.  Well, I could say they are already here.  Christmas advertisements already all over the tv and those mail circulars and brochures are in my mailbox.  Great deals on electronics all over the place.  Christmas trees already in stores, even the mom-and pop small stores.  Our little town square has already been decorated with wreaths, lamp post greenery, and bows on all the storefronts. 

Food is everywhere!  On the magazine covers, on television, recipes for turkey, ham, dressing, red velvet cake, sweet potatoes and all the trimmings.  The grocery stores have their sweet potatoes and cream of mushroom soups on sale, as well as flour, corn meal, cranberry sauce, and all the little fancy appetizer doo-dads in the freezer section. 

What are we going to eat for Thanksgiving?  For all the holiday office parties and church dinners and dinner parties with friends?  Or if we are hosting one of these, what in the world are we going to serve that is healthy, but also tasty?

I looked back to some posts from last November to see what my "plan" was for Thanksgiving.  Now I remember. 

PORTION CONTROL

NO SECONDS, unless it's veggies or fruit

NO SWEETS

And I was drinking a lot of water back then, even more than I am drinking now.  Also, I was involved in three challenges during that time.  I really credit being able to NOT GAIN during to the holidays to having to be accountable in the challenges. 

In looking back, I found where I posted about my Thanksgiving menu.  My goal was to not overeat, and to not have leftovers to tempt me for the next few days.  I did it.  And we enjoyed Thanksgiving just as much as ever.  After all, it's all about the football, isn't it?

WHAT IS YOUR PLAN FOR NOT GAINING DURING THE HOLIDAYS?

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I have set the lofty goal of LOSING during the holidays rather than simply not gaining. I've been successful with this strategy in the past and would love to do it again. So my plan is actually no plan at all, but just keep doing what I'm going now.

Angela Pea said...

LOL! It's ALL about the football!!

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Jo, I plan on moderation. I know what my triggers are so I will avoid the desserts but I will focus on the protein and mostly leave the side dishes alone. My real temptation will be the stuffing. It is my favorite part of the meal. Of course, if I follow my plan and eat the protein first, there won't be much room for the carbs. Our Thanksgiving meals don't include as many sides as most people have so I believe I can reasonably manage to get through it without gaining. I will make just enough sides for the day and have only protein left over. I love to snack on cold turkey and ham once the holiday is over.;

Julie said...

I made it through last year with abling to lose weight so am going to try and do the same this year. I have one good thing, I don't have to fix a holiday dinner and we are invited to a buffet for dinner and I just stay at the salad bar mostly. Same for Christmas. With my wee ones it's a bit harder but if I bake things I don't like or crave it's easier and as long as they are getting something baked thhey don't mind. Keep up the great work Jo. You have great plans and ideas and I know that you will do then with grace and the most will power possible.
Take care and have a blessed weekend.