Sunday, November 13, 2011

Christmas Dress Countdown Week 9

Hello Challengers,

I am reading that some of you have jumped waaay over the bar this week, and others have almost stumbled.  How normal is that?  We are all different and your good week may be my week from hell.  But we have to keep on working at it.  Consistency and perseverence.

Here's how I did:

Weight today:  138.  I ate the salty popcorn yesterday while watching ball games.  I'm not worried about it.  Extra water for me today!

The Dress:  Nothing yet, but I have a picture of it in my mind.  I will have it by the time I need it.

Daily Calories:  My target is 1200 per day and my average this week was 1133 per day.  Perfect.

Exercise:  My goal is 3 times per week and I did get my 3 times this week.  Finally, yay!

Consistency with Healthy Habits:  I try to make healthy choices in food, drink my water, take my vitamins, stay active, not put anything toxic into my body (other than the occasional glass of wine), eat mostly fresh and unprocessed foods.  I am always hungry for more knowledge on health and nutrition.

Hydration:  It's a habit!

Reading:  This week I have read parts of three books:  Refuse to Regain, by Barbara Berkeley,MD; Wheat Belly, by William Davis, MD, and 100 Days of Weight Loss, by Linda Spangle, RN, MA.

Refuse to Regain is excellent for those who are beginning maintenance.  Lots of good points, whether you follow her eating plan or not.

Wheat Belly is great for those who are allergic to gluten, want to reduce their bread intake, are diabetic or pre-diabetic, or just want to get away from grains for any reason.  It awakened me to some facts, and reinforced some habits I already was practicing.

100 Days of Weight Loss is daily motivation for, well, 100 days.  I need that.  The day's topics are usually just a couple of pages of reading, so very easy to pick up and put down.

Support:  I have been around to most of your blogs, and several others who are not in the Challenge.

Quitting:  NO!  In spite of my family illness during this entire challenge, I WILL NOT QUIT.  Yes, it's difficult to eat the right foods and get enough dedicated exercise while going through any stressful event, but it can be done.  Many people have bowed out of challenges for much less reason than this.  But I WILL NOT QUIT.  It's so very important to be able to handle life's major stressors and keep our own lives on the even keel.  The life stressors will be here and there from now on.  What we must do is BE STRONG.  Oops, sorry for the sermon, but I needed to get it out.

Okay, let's get on with it and show a good loss for next week!

End of Challenge Report
--------------------------------------------------

I have spent this week frantically making plans for my brother's discharge from rehab on Nov 30th (tentatively).  He must have 24 hour care for awhile, and I have volunteered to be his cook.  I am planniing nutritious meals and have already started buying ingredients.  A person with spinal cord injury needs protein, vitamins, calcium, and fiber in order to keep the body working properly and continuing to heal itself.

I haven't told you the good news...He has been asked to be the poster boy for the hospital's trauma unit.  The RN supervisor paid him a visit in rehab and said he wanted to start videoing his progress and write an article on his injuries and rehab progress.  Wow.  Another one of his physical therapists is a student and is writing a paper about him to be turned in this week.  They want him to come back to the hospital and talk to spinal cord injury patients and their families.  After all those weeks of touch and go with him, I am so proud he is working so hard to be able to eventually live alone.  He will never be 100 percent, but will be able to care for himself. 

That, my friends, is a miracle, and one I am most thankful for during this month of Thanksgiving, and one that would not have been possible without all your positive thoughts, good vibes, and prayers.  Again, thank you so much.

8 comments:

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Such great news about your brother, Jo. I know you must be very excited that his journey will be used to inspire others. He should be very proud of his progress. I will be remembering you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

You're at such a nice weight --every time I see that number, I think, does she really need to lose weight, how tiny is Jo??? hahahah--and I know you're inculcating habits that you want to enhance health. It will sort out.

Congrats to your brother. I think that sounds like a very cool project. I send my prayers for his continued healing. I know your care of him can only be lovingly therapeutic. And I totally believe in the power of sound food to heal. Totally!

God bless the both of you! A new week of healing!!!

Sharon said...

Jo, what wonderful news. I know you questioned whether he'd ever come out of the hospital much less be able to live on his own. I also believe he could've never done it without the powerful love of his sister.

Julie said...

Oh that is so awesome about your brother. Excellent!! And I am so proud of you doing all this for your brother. I love the love of family!!
Now that you're planning meals for you brother, you can start taking good care of yourself too.
Take care this week and God Bless!!

Michele said...

So happy to read the good news about your brother. I am sure his recovery will have plenty of ups and downs, but it is encouraging to know that he has done as well as he has. You are a wonderful sister and friend to be there for him now.

I think you had a great week on the CDCC. Have another great week! Michele

Bluezy said...

It is great that your brother's story and progress will be followed. When good things happen after the bad, it is truly a miracle and very appreciated that you shared it with me and others.

Good thoughts too you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Relieved about your brother. Inspired by you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news about your brother, you are all so blessed and deserve it!

Thanks for the comments on my blog, even though I had to step out of the challenge.

I keep hearing great things about the book Wheat Belly, I think it will be going in my Amazon cart!