Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 1 - A Swan

I want to look graceful and elegant like the swan in the profile picture.

I am writing this to find and give support to others who want to lose weight in middle age and be healthier. I want to find people in similar situations who can give me advice, even if we only discuss a good walking shoe or the best time of day to weigh or exercise. I hope to find new or different things to try in order to lose some pounds and keep them away. I will not write every day, because some days will be uneventful. I will not list my food every day, although I may do it for a couple of weeks here and there just so you can have an idea of what I eat.

I am not obese, but I am overweight. I do not need or want to lose 100 pounds. I only need to lose 30 or 40 - and KEEP it off. But mentally, it may as well be 100 pounds, because I have tried and failed many times before to take it off and maintain. I have been on one kind of weight loss plan or another for about ten years. I had the most success with Adkins, and lost 15 pounds and kept it off for three years or so. But Adkins was not a plan I could live on for life. I also tried Weight Watchers and lost 7 pounds. I slowly gained it back, plus another 4 or 5. But Weight Watchers is something I could do for life. I just didn't like going to the meetings every week and writing down everything I ate and figuring points. However, it is a plan I may go back to someday.

More later on how I feel about food and exercise.

This is not a diet, it is a way of life.

Weight on me,
Jo

1 comment:

Lanie said...

I have about 3 times as much weight to lose as you do, but I can tell you that Geneen Roth's books have helped me immensely so far. I'm not going back to my old ways - ever.

2 months ago I read "Women Food and God" after one of my best friends nagged me about it. She said it was life-changing. I resisted it, because it sounded religious and I didn't want a new religion. I'm glad I didn't let that stop me, because it couldn't have been further from the truth.

She incorporates all ideas about god and self in her reasoning and her ideas just.make.sense. They changed my thinking.