Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 4 - I Can Do Better

A little over a year ago I began taking medication for high blood pressure. My cholesterol is too high and has been for a couple of years. So far I have refused medication for it - I think I am able to get it into normal range through diet and exercise, and that is part of the reason for this blog - accountability. Diabetes runs in my mother's family. I have no sign of it yet, but I know if I continue to gain weight, it is only a matter of time.

For the past six months or so, I have weighed more than I have ever weighed. I really do not like this, and hate to admit it. I know if I do not get my weight under control, I will continue to gain a little here and there, and before I know it, I will be over 200 pounds. I can feel it sneaking up on me.

Growing up, I was always the athletic one. I could eat anything and not gain. This continued through my 20's and 30's. The 40's got a bit tougher to stay at the same weight and the slow gain started. Then at age 4 I changed jobs to a mostly sedentary, sit-at-the-computer-all-day job. At about that same time, I entered menopause and my metabolism changed.

So here I am at age 52 trying to lose the thirty or so pounds that have crept on, and to maintain a healthy weight once that is lost. I have already made progress in changing my eating and exercise habits, but I can do better.

I don't count calories (I know, I know, I should), but I do read package labels and have a general idea of how many calories are in the foods I eat, and sometimes look it up if I'm unsure. I eat lean protein, lots of vegetables and whole grains, some fruit, and rarely have sweets and fried foods. I try to watch my portion sizes and have no seconds. I drink lots of water and have no sugary or diet drinks, except for the occasional Crystal Light mix, green tea, and Sprite Zero. I try to prepare most of my meals at home, and eat at restaurants 3 or 4 meals per week. But I can do better.

I can do better.

So after an extra-long walk through the neighborhood, my pedometer reads 5,446 for today's walk.

This is not a diet, it is a way of life.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

This past week I started treating grains like a condiment...not eliminating them, but keeping them to a minimum, and getting most of my carbs from fruits and veggies. First weigh-in on this strategy happens Monday morning, and I'm really hoping this gets the ball rolling again!

I can hear your frustration...it is very hard when we're doing all the right things and the visible results are so small. Hang in there!