Monday, May 10, 2010

Another Reason to Get Healthy


I LOVE GARDENING! This picture is not in my garden, but in my neighbor's garden. I love to ride by her house and just stop and look. She has so many little areas that are just gorgeous. She is an elderly lady, in her 80's, and still works in her own garden (with some help) and still loves it. As the summer progresses, she has more color, but what I like is that she has a lot of perennials that are green, and all she has to do is add a pot of color here and there. The day I took this picture, she was in there pulling weeds. She invited me to get out and we walked around and she showed me a couple of areas you can't see from the street - a fern garden, and a little patio area surrounded by ferns and hosta and spring bloomers.
So this is another reason I need to get and stay healthy. So I can continue to work in my garden, bend and squat and lift. Dig a hole for a new plant. Dig up an old plant and move it. Haul mulch in the wheelbarrow. Pull weeds, of course.
When I get this weight off me, all the bending and squatting will be much easier. Hopefully by that time I will have strengthened my back and core, so I don't need to take a hot bath to soak the sore muscles every time I do gardening.
Yep, I am going to have the prettiest little garden. Even when I am in my 80's.
This is not a diet, it is a way of life.

No comments: