Hello Readers,
And welcome to my new follower, Snoconegirl.
I got the results of my lipid panel, and am disgusted, to say the least. I thought all this watching what I put in my mouth, walking, drinking more water, eating no sweets, eating very little fried and prepared foods, etc., etc. would make more difference in my numbers. I was wrong.
My new numbers:
Total cholesterol: 240
HDL: 49
LDL: 148
Six months ago:
Total cholesterol: 244
HDL: 48
LDL: 126
So my total cholesterol is still borderline high. My LDL (the bad stuff) should be less than 130; it is UP from 126 last time to 148 this time. I guess this is the most disgusting. There shouldn't be this much increase; in fact, I was really expecting a decrease in this one. Also, it would have been really, really nice to see the HDL (the good stuff) up a few more points.
This is not the end of the world. But I have tried so hard since July 2009 when I started making a concerted effort to walk almost every day, and to increase the vegetables in my diet, and to decrease the sweets and prepared foods. I practically cut out fried foods years ago, and started substituting lower fat mayonnaise, sour cream and cheese in the dishes I prepare at home.
So what am I going to do about it?
Get smarter.
Try harder.
Ask people who know.
Take another fish oil capsule every day, in addition to the one I already take.
No more eggs, except occasionally on a salad.
Find a lower fat ranch dressing.
Eat more fish and chicken. Less red meat. (This is difficult because Husband loves red meat.)
Eat more oatmeal.
Take a dose of Metamucil every day. Also, buy the capsules so I won't have to choke that stuff down.
Eat more fruit. (I do not care for fruit, really, but I'm going to really try.)
More broccoli, spinach, and cabbage, which I do love.
Be more careful when eating out. And, try to eat out less.
Inform my family and neighbors and anyone who cooks for me that I will not eat their wonderful food. (This may be a delicate situation, but I will be nice about it.)
The point is that I am trying to be healthy and live a long time for those who count on me for whatever reason. Heart disease is all over my mother's and father's family. My two grandfathers and one uncle dropped dead of heart attacks. My maternal grandmother had heart problems. My aunts and one female cousin have heart issues. Heart disease is the NUMBER ONE killer of women.
Enough said. I need to get started.
This is not a diet, it is a way of life.
Thank you for reading. And if you're reading, please leave comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment