Friday, July 22, 2011

Sweltering

98 degrees today, with a heat index of 115???! 

The weathermen are saying to stay inside, check on your neighbors and the elderly, stay cool if you have asthma or other health problems, drink plenty of water, wear light clothing...you know all about the heat wave, I'm sure.

I won't be doing any walking or running outside today.  The treadmill is over here in the corner, just begging me to come and take a stroll.  Maybe later. 

What I really want to do today is cook.  No oven or stovetop cooking, but maybe some marinaded vegetables.  Cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, onion, with just some plain Italian dressing.  They should last through the weekend.  Or some cabbage slaw, with just cabbage, carrots, a little celery and onion, and a bit of cider vinegar and just a pinch of sweetener.  Did I mention how HOT it is here?

My little dog doesn't even want to take a walk outside.  My big dog goes out and runs her route around the neighbor's yard, then barks to come back in.  There is a reason they call it the dog days of summer.

Weekend plans?  Nothing much on the agenda.  I will be going to the farmer's market tomorrow morning, and there is a 20-family yard sale going on that I know I won't be able to pass up.  I am looking for some urns or pots to put some plants in for the fall and winter.  After the stop at the yard sale, I will be ready to get in with the air conditioning. 

We have new neighbors moving in up the street.  I know them, so I may walk up and help them unload or clean up.  They have a large extended family, so they won't need help, but I am willing anyway.

So after the laundry is done, and the kitchen is cleaned, and the bathroom swiped for the weekend, I think I will have a session with the treadmill.  It has kept me going through many hot, freezing, rainy days, so I can't forsake it now. 

Have a great weekend, and stay cool! 

What are your plans for the weekend?  Do they include doing anything for your health?

3 comments:

Julie said...

I need a mental health weekend so am taking my daddy garage saling, meeting up with my friend for a nice walk and grilling supper, a easy shopping day with Jim on Sunday and then study time. No house work, no yard work (unless I feel I have to till the garden), just time to relax. Sounds doable, hope it happens.
Enjoy your weekend. Take care and God Bless!!

Michele said...

Thanks, Jo, for all your lovely comments on my two blogs. I did not know you lived by a lake. We are looking forward to our new adventure. I hope it cools down in your neck of the woods. It will be a cool welcome to be in the Seattle area for 10 days. Have a great weekend and TTFN, Michele

Karen Butler Ogle said...

I'm planning on staying cool and getting back into some kind of exercise program inside my house. I have plenty of equipment. I just need to make myself USE IT.