Sunday, July 31, 2011

Challenge Update and Still Hypoglycemic

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are enjoying what little is left of the summer in spite of the heat.  School begins in my area next week, so everyone seems to be shopping this weekend.  Which is exactly why I am at home where it is cool and quiet!

My challenge updates are probably pretty boring for most of you, but here it is for this week:

1. Keep weight in maintenance range of 130-137 lbs.  I am closer to the high of this range, but still within it.  Good!

2. Keep average daily calories under 1200, track food, eat less meat and more veggies.  My average daily calories this week is/are 1227 per day.  I have tracked everything.  I am eating less meat and more veggies.  Honestly, Husband needs to change his eating habits.  Won't happen, so I need to work around them.  He absolutely will not eat a meal without some type of meat.  We usually split the portion of meat, with him getting the larger portion, and me trying to keep my portion between 2 and 3 ounces, and leaving some on my plate (for him to finish off).  I can say that I am improving, but am definitely not there yet.  I may try to sneak a meatless day in on him from time to time.  On the veggie front, I am doing great.  I went to the farmers' market yesterday and got corn, tomatoes, okra, summer squash, and then fresh broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, apples and blueberries from the grocery.  (Small town, few choices here.)  We have tomatoes at every meal, and steamed squash or broccoli for dinner every evening.  Spinach salads are great anytime.  We are definitely enjoying the summer produce!

3. Drink 80 oz of water daily.  I am between 70 and 80 every day.  Good enough!

4. Daily exercise.  Needs improvement, but at least I am staying active.  My dog insists on 2 walks per day, and I am running around the neighborhood daily with him.  But he is very small, so it's no great workout for me.

5. Support other bloggers.   I am doing this daily, but can do much better.  I know I enjoy the encouragement and I know you do, too.  So I need to improve on my end of our deal.

6. Remember that a healthy lifestyle is a long-term investment.  This is my main objective and I invest time in learning more every day.

Hypoglycemic update:

I appreciate all the suggestions you gave me and have purchased a glucose monitor.  I don't have a real pattern yet, but so far my glucose has not been over 100.  The low was 43 at an hour before I was scheduled to eat, and the high was 95 within 30 minutes after eating dinner one night.  The best thing I am learning is to realize how I feel BEFORE I get too low to recover before crashing.  I am learning that the slight dizziness and fast heartbeat are probably because I need to eat something, not that I am having a stroke or heart attack.  I am going to see my PCP within a couple of weeks, show him my log, and see what he thinks.  Honestly, I think a good nutritionist could solve some of my problems.  I am trying to learn it all on my own and there is just too much trial and error.  But I am getting there.

I hope everyone has a great week, and please, stay on your good health plan!

(The server is rejecting the upload of the STS badge, so just imagine yourself thin and healthy!)




11 comments:

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

I'm sorry the hypoglycemia is plaguing. I read another blogger with that, and she actually passes out. Scary.

I had this back in the early 80s. It cleared up spontaneously on its own after several months, but dang, if I didn't find myself reaching for sugary snacks OFTEN at first, before I learned to keep fruits/healthier stuff handy.

I hope yours clears up spontaneously, too...and soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those lows are scary, and you're right...you need to recognize before a crash. It's also helpful to space out meals and snacks, and eat even if you aren't hungry. I also make sure that I carry hard candies and one of those kids drink pouches that are super high in sugar in all of my handbags, especially if I'm driving!

Excellent on maintaining at goal weight!

downsizers said...

I am probably telling you something you already know but should you eat smaller amounts more often so your blood sugar will stay at a more level number throughout the day? I am sure it is frustrating to have to deal with this but we gotta do what we gotta do. You are in your range so that is good news!

Unknown said...

You are doing great! Oh, and as for your hubby, meat does not automatically equal unhealthy, just try to make sure he's eating leaner cuts, and try to go organic if you possibly can.

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Hang in there, Jo. Hypo can be scary but I know you will be able to manage it. Good job on sticking to your plan. :)

Empty Nester said...

My husband likes the meat too. I just informed him this weekend that I was not going to buy or cook meat any more for a while and if he wants it, he'll have to buy it and cook it. This is the first time he's not put up a fight about it. So, there is hope! LOL

I just ordered my little Tucker a backpack for dogs--when he gets tired during our walks, I will pop him right in there and get serious!

Michele said...

Hi, Jo,
Looks like you had a terrific week coming in at about 1200 calories. The summer loot that you picked up at the farmer's market sounds terrific, too. can't wait to get to one in my area later this week. have a great week and stay strong! Michele

Alan said...

This is a great structure. As you noted, it's in the same spirit as what I'm trying to do...choosing a few important things and habitually doing them. Great work, Jo!

Mrs. O said...

You probably need to eat more often, increase your protein a bit at each mealtime and decrease your carb intake for the time being. That should help start stabilizing your blood sugar until your doctor can see your logs and work out a plan with you.

Hopefully you'll get this under control soon. It's scary to have such low blood sugars ... I always had the opposite where my sugars were too high (probably 'cause I was eating almost non-stop during the workday). Getting them under control was a key factor in getting me to stop eating so much during the day.

Julie said...

I just picked our first batch of green beans and kohlrabi, it tasted so good.
Keep up the great work. We have gone to mostly meatless meals but it was hard so hard, we're a farming family...meat is a fact of life.
Take care and God Bless!!

Unknown said...

Just stick to tracking and things should be alright!