Tomorrow is my first 5K. I can do 5K's on the treadmill and in my neighborhood every day, but I am anxious about this one. I think it's because there will be runners and walkers at every level of fitness all around me and they will be competing. Some may even be competing with me. (I am only competing with myself, by the way.)
What's my goal?
1. To finish.
1(b). To finish in under an hour. (This may not happen, but it's a goal anyway.)
1(c). To fihish AHEAD of the mothers with baby strollers. :-)
That's it. So I've been thinking, what should I eat in the morning? Further, what should I eat tonight? Or should I eat at all in the morning? (Yes, because I am hypoglycemic.)
So I am putting the question out to you, my friends. I need endurance. And hydration. What should I eat/drink beginning 12 to 18 hours before starting time? And when?
Again, I am only competing with myself, but I am just trying to learn something here.
What do you eat and drink to prepare yourself for the walk/run/cycle/swim?
4 comments:
Jo - I am doing another 5K tomorrow, too. But, this will be my first that I will not be pulling a wagon for fun, or walking with a 4 year old. I am planning on walking most of it, but might try a bit of a jog. I wish I could tell you what I eat or drink or what I recommend, but I am not the best advice here. However, I am going to eat light in the morning. Might try some strawberries and some yogurt - seems to help me before I exercise most mornings. I am going to pack some stuff for when I finish - banana or an apple, a granola bar of some sorts. They should have water for you on the course, but I try to bring a bottle I can hold easily or hook onto my outfit.
Good luck to you!! I will be thinking about you tomorrow as I finish before the mothers with the strollers, too.
Staying MOtivated MO
Here are two good websites for you.
I dont eat anything heavy the night before.
The morning of eat about 2 hours before your race. Like oatmeal or banana, or cereal. Dont try something new!! Make sure to drink. Two days before start loading up on extra fluids. water water water.
Have fun!!! I love the goals!!! Youre a winner no matter what place you finish!!
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/should-eat-night-before-8am-5k
http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum5/HTML/002887.shtml
On the day of my long bike ride I ate two scrambled eggs and two pieces of toast for my first breakfast. We had to drive about 1.5 hours. As we got closer, I ate a bagel and a banana. I stuffed two cliff bars in my pickets, but I was on the bike for almost 4 hours.
Good luck! I am so proud of you doing this 5KM!!! Michele
I can't offer any words of wisdom about food but congrats and good luck! Make those stroller pushers eat your dust!
Post a Comment