Tuesday, August 2, 2011

New Month and Re-Focus

At the beginning of each month I like to look back and see how far I have come, how far I have to go, if what I am doing is working, and what may need changing.

Since officially declaring maintenance two months ago, I have gained a few pounds, and am now at the top of my "safe" range.  Ugh.  I need to be closer to the bottom, which means I need to lose about 5 pounds.  And as I mentioned some time ago, I will be in a wedding in October, and my dress is snug.  Too snug to hold these 5 lbs.

I took a look back at my food journal for last year, particularly June through October, when I seemed to be losing the most weight. 

What I noticed was nothing.  I am eating the same foods as I was during those months, with the exception of a bit more oatmeal for breakfast.  I am "ick" toward oatmeal right now, but that may change.  Lunch is pretty much the same as it was a year ago - I have 3 or 4 favorites that I just rotate.  Same for dinner.  My breakfast consists of 250 to 300 calories, lunch is 300 to 400, dinner is 300 to 400, and snacks are 150 to 300 total.  So on a good day I come in at around 1000 calories, and on a not-so-good day I am closer to 1400, and possibly a little more if there is a restaurant meal involved, or eating anywhere other than home, for that matter.

I looked at my journal a bit closer and remembered that sometime last fall I decided to try to stay closer to 1000 calories per day instead of around 1200.  Also, I was getting twice as much exercise last summer than I have this summer.  

So, 100 or so calories per day intake, plus 300 or so calories per day output = weight loss.  Duh.

My body has changed in a year's time.  I am a year older.  It will only become more difficult to maintain my metabolism and be able to exercise. 

Being the list-maker that I am, I wrote this in my food journal on the first day of August:

Plan for August:
- Lose 5 lbs and keep it off.
- Walk 2 miles at least 5 times per week.
- No  Less alcohol.
- No sugar or artificial sweeteners.  Read labels to be sure.
- Pay attention to snacks.  Focus on good snacks that will keep hypoglycemia from happening.
- Stay hydrated.

(Yes, I know there is sugar in alcohol.  I have started diluting my one margarita per week with club soda.  Also the wine.  And I do not drink every day, usually in social situations, or a glass of wine while dinner is cooking.)

I don't want to restrict my calories under 1200 because I just don't think it's good for my body long-term.  I hope to get the 5 lbs gone by exercising and having healthier snacks.

There is something about having a plan that helps me to stick to it.  There is nothing new in the above list of things I need to do.  But my focus is sometimes not where it needs to be.  So when I need to re-focus I will look back at the beginning of the month and look at my goals for that month.  Yes, it is simple.  That is why I do it.  Will it work?  Again, IF I do it.  Will I do it?  YES!

Have you changed your plan for August? 
Does your plan change often?  In what way?


4 comments:

Sharon said...

Since we live in the same state, I hear you about the exercise. The heat and humidity are brutal even early in the morning. My exercise has suffered tremendously and I can always tie a slowdown in exercise with weight gain. Your plan sounds good. The thing I notice first that is often a downfall of maintainers is that you've caught a slight gain and are determined not to go above your maintenance weight range. Good luck! I am confident in your determination!

Anonymous said...

The alcohol has really been getting me lately, so I am not drinking any in August. Abstinence until Labor Day. Then it's a long weekend, family bbq and a few brewskies. ;)

I posted about my August plans and luckily people on here put me back down to earth about my loss goal, now I want to lose 3 lbs a week. I am nowhere near maintenance like you are - I'm still in the deep dark abyss of ginormica with a lot of pounds to shed!

Empty Nester said...

Once I had my daughters I found I could no longer drink or ride on things that spin round and round. It sounds strange but that's what happened- I can't drink a half glass of wine before feeling loopy. Go figure.

I changed my exercise this month-I am increasing my walks in distance and speed and I am sticking with the Pilates every day.

Michele said...

I think you are wise to set a goal to shed that 5 pounds. Be careful though: 1000 cals is very low.

I find that I can only lose when my calories are less than 1300-1400 calories with vigorous exercise. I also know that I can gain weight very easy when I go off that plan. My metabolism is very slow and I have accepted that fact.

I rarely drink alcohol anymore. If I do it is a beer and I count those cals in my daily budget. I think it is reasonable to cut your alcohol down rather than eliminate it. Plus, it is one of life's small pleasures to enjoy a little alcohol once in a while. Have a good weekend! michele