How are we doing this Easter week? Is everyone planning a feast on Sunday?
At my house we will not celebrate with a lot of rich food. We will have a special meal, which may include mac and cheese for Husband, and dressed eggs, but no family get-togethers. Maybe a little something late in the afternoon in the neighborhood. There is a child who is just 1 year old so he shouldn't be too hard to keep up with.
After going to sunrise service and church, Easters were always celebrated with my mother's family at my grandparents' house in the country with all the kids hunting boiled eggs and candy eggs over and over as long as someone would hide them for us. I remember baked ham and fried chicken, along with homemade yeast rolls, green beans, mashed potatoes, and a fruit salad. With lots of sweet iced tea. And always lots of desserts, usually pies.
After going to sunrise service and church, Easters were always celebrated with my mother's family at my grandparents' house in the country with all the kids hunting boiled eggs and candy eggs over and over as long as someone would hide them for us. I remember baked ham and fried chicken, along with homemade yeast rolls, green beans, mashed potatoes, and a fruit salad. With lots of sweet iced tea. And always lots of desserts, usually pies.
How different it is now. The only things of this menu that I would eat now are a small portion of ham, green beans, and I would pick at the fruit salad. Definitely no fried chicken or mashed potatoes, bread or dessert. No sweet tea, only water for me. If it was potluck, I would bring a huge broccoli salad, made with olive oil mayonnaise and half the sugar the recipe calls for. Indeed I did enjoy those childhood meals at Grandma's, but now I'm glad I don't have to navigate the minefield that was my family's cooking practices. However, my grandmother lived to be 98, so the good food didn't affect her longevity.
My one (I hope it's only one) restaurant meal was yesterday with a couple of friends I used to work with. We had Mexican buffet (1 trip). I know that was not a wise choice at all. But I did try to choose protein and veggies. Only a few chips. Lettuce, pico, guacamole, but not much. No dessert. Water to drink. It's a shame to pay buffet prices for such a small plate of food, but at least it puts the portion size within my control, and I can choose no cheese.
I did go back to my doc Tuesday about complications from this bronchitis and such. He confirmed that now I have pleurisy. Which is a fluid pocket which develops between your rib cage and lung, usually caused by repeated coughing. It hurts! Mainly when I breathe deeply, cough, and oh my goodness, the sneezing is the most painful, like a knife stuck in my side. So I got prednisone, more antibiotics, stronger anti-inflammatory, and 3 weeks worth of nasal spray. Now I feel like a dopehead without the narcotics. I guess steroids are even worse (for my body, anyway). I know the prednisone will make me hungry. I know the anti-inflammatory will make me retain fluid. It's all okay. I am the only person who can control what I put in my mouth, so I need to focus, focus. I just hope it doesn't make me crave carbs or sweets. That is the worst. This is the second full day back on the meds and so far so good, but I did eat a big-ass bowl of vegetable soup for lunch. Maybe not too much harm done.
The weather is beautiful, perfect for gardening, in the 70's every day. And I have done nothing except clean up one perennial bed. But I am hoping to be able to be out this next week and get fresh mulch on my main color bed, which doesn't show from streetside, so I'm not so worried about it looking shabby. I'm not making big plans on expanding my beds this year, just adding some color to what I already have. My neighbor and I are making plans for a small vegetable garden and some container gardening. That will probably more than enough to keep me busy.
Okay, I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend. I will catch up with most of you on Sunday evening or after. Be safe!
My one (I hope it's only one) restaurant meal was yesterday with a couple of friends I used to work with. We had Mexican buffet (1 trip). I know that was not a wise choice at all. But I did try to choose protein and veggies. Only a few chips. Lettuce, pico, guacamole, but not much. No dessert. Water to drink. It's a shame to pay buffet prices for such a small plate of food, but at least it puts the portion size within my control, and I can choose no cheese.
I did go back to my doc Tuesday about complications from this bronchitis and such. He confirmed that now I have pleurisy. Which is a fluid pocket which develops between your rib cage and lung, usually caused by repeated coughing. It hurts! Mainly when I breathe deeply, cough, and oh my goodness, the sneezing is the most painful, like a knife stuck in my side. So I got prednisone, more antibiotics, stronger anti-inflammatory, and 3 weeks worth of nasal spray. Now I feel like a dopehead without the narcotics. I guess steroids are even worse (for my body, anyway). I know the prednisone will make me hungry. I know the anti-inflammatory will make me retain fluid. It's all okay. I am the only person who can control what I put in my mouth, so I need to focus, focus. I just hope it doesn't make me crave carbs or sweets. That is the worst. This is the second full day back on the meds and so far so good, but I did eat a big-ass bowl of vegetable soup for lunch. Maybe not too much harm done.
The weather is beautiful, perfect for gardening, in the 70's every day. And I have done nothing except clean up one perennial bed. But I am hoping to be able to be out this next week and get fresh mulch on my main color bed, which doesn't show from streetside, so I'm not so worried about it looking shabby. I'm not making big plans on expanding my beds this year, just adding some color to what I already have. My neighbor and I are making plans for a small vegetable garden and some container gardening. That will probably more than enough to keep me busy.
Okay, I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend. I will catch up with most of you on Sunday evening or after. Be safe!
6 comments:
Oh Jo, I hope that you get to feel better soon. That pleurisy really hurts, I know. Heal quickly my friend.
Thank you for stopping by today and your sweet comments. I so appreciate them. I don't know what I'll be doing about my leg, maybe just walk and hope that it works out.
Take care my friend and have a blessed evening.
Goodness, I hope you feel better! Take care of yourself so this doesn't turn into anything worse than it already is! I loved Easter dinners at my grandparents too- and the food was so GOOD! I miss my grandmother's cooking for sure! Feel better!
I'm sorry you are still fighting the illness, Jo. I hope you feel better soon. The prednisone should help a lot even though it will make you hungry, it is only for a brief period usually.
Your Easter celebration sounds good. We aren't doing anything special this year. Not foodwise anyway. I might be able to talk Dail into a hike. The weather is supposed to be perfect and sunny. It would be good to get back into our outdoor adventures. Hang in there and feel better soon.
So sorry you're not feeling well. Get better soon.
Reading your description of Easter at Grandma's brings back lots of memories. What is strange is that even though we ate big holiday meals, far fewer of us were overweight back on those days. I guess that might be because we now eat in restaurants too much and just generally have too much access to food (usually fast food). Back in the day, when the holiday was over, it was back to simple eating--at least in my house. Thanks for sharing this memory.
Thank you Jo. Your comment was sweet, awesome and made me feel so good. Thank you so much.
I will be following you for a long time to come. I love your outlook on life.
Take care my friend and do have the most blessed Easter.
I have been suffering from chronic bronchitis for years. I'm sorry to hear about its development into pleurisy. I do hope the medications help you feel better.
Seems like you have the right perspective about how to handle any upcoming challenges with food/side effects of the medication.
Good luck!
Post a Comment