Friday, April 20, 2012

Paying it Forward

Are you thinking - how does this relate to weight loss? Well, doesn't it relate to everything we do? Kindness, compassion, caring - it's certainly not going to hinder weight loss. Paying it forward helps not only the ones we are doing it to/for, but helps us feel good about ourselves. Be creative. Paying it forward can be tied to someone else's weight loss, and in the next step thus help you in progressing on your own - or even together. Everything is tied together. We're not just fat people trying to get thin, we are people. People who are a part of something bigger than ourselves. Have you ever felt obsessed about the scale, your food, the "regime"? This is a way to lift our eyes.
--Maren

Maren at the Ready For Summer Challenge suggested that in this week's mini challenge we write a post about how we pay it forward. 

Here in Blogville, I try to comment on a lot of blogs.  I know how much I enjoy support from you, and I try to do the same.  Sometimes I say the wrong thing, or it is taken in the wrong context (since there is no way to convey a tone here) but please know that I do mean it in a polite way, unless I warn you up front that I am kicking your butt.  ;-)

I try to remember what your struggles have been and refer back to that time, or how far you have come, or how you made it through a hard time.  I have no professional writing training, thus my comments and suggestions are always "from the heart" and sincere.  I want only the best for all of us, and for our goals to be achieved sooner rather than later, and without setbacks.

Here are a few things I do personally to "pay it forward":

- I am a good listener (I am told) so when someone wants to talk, I listen and if they want, try to offer suggestions or other points of view.  I am known for discretion, and will never repeat anything said to me in confidence to anyone.  Ever.  I expect the same from anyone I trust.

- When I cook up a big batch of soup, spaghetti, casserole, or have a lot of leftovers, I take them to my neighbors who are alone and don't cook very often.  I have several elderly neighbors who live alone and they are very happy to have a hot meal every now and then, along with a visit.

- I drive my elderly aunts to doctors' appointments.  Of course, this includes lunch, usually, and a nice visit while we ride.

- I anonymously pay unexpected expenses for friends who are not able to do so.  This has included auto repair bills, veterinary bills, and medical bills, to name a few.  Also, a few rent payments.

- I collect and carry basic supplies to those who have been displaced from their homes due to fire, tornado, flood, and other reasons.  These include soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, diapers, paper towels, feminine hygiene items, shampoo, toilet paper, and also try to get together a change of clothes and shoes.  I know I certainly would appreciate these things if it happened to me.

- I visit friends in retirement homes and nursing homes.  I could do better at this, but it always seems to make the patients feel better, and it makes me feel good for having made the effort.

- I rescue and find homes for dogs and cats.  Also, I donate food and blankets.

- I send greeting cards:  get well, sympathy, thank you, birthdays, and write a brief personal note.

- I help my neighbors with their gardening - lifting bags of mulch, digging plants to move from one location to another, moving stones or bricks for borders, anything they are not able to do for themselves.  (Within my physical abilities, of course.)  I don't do ladders and climbing.

This should give some idea of things I do and things you could do to pay it forward.  I know I get much more pleasure out of this than the recipients.  And there is always a little extra time to open a door for someone.  You might be surprised how good the little things make you feel!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!



9 comments:

thewwchick said...

I love it, Jo! I try to do several of the same things on your list. Someone once helped me out when Kent and I were struggling like we had never struggled financially before. We hadn't been married long. I was in college & working through a work study program at the time. Times were beyond tough. A lady I worked with (but hardly knew) handed me $50 bucks as I walked out the door one way. (It must have been the equivalent to $100 dollars today.) She said God told her to give me $50 dollars. That He knew I really needed some help. I have never forgotten that, and have made a point to "pay it forward" over and over ever since. Thanks for reminding me of that story. It makes me smile and tear up all at the same time. ;)

Caron said...

You are a very thoughtful and good friend. I love all the things you do and you've given me some ideas as well. :)

Sharon said...

I love your pay it forward post and I know I'd really like you!! Hope we can meet one of these days.

Michele said...

Selfless is what came to my mind when I read your post. You have enormous compassion and a generous spirit. Thanks for sharing more about your own moral and ethical compass. Truly glad I know you through boggy land!

PlumPetals said...

You're doing an incredible job of paying it forward! :)

Jenn said...

Wow. You are incredibly generous with your time and money!! You do a lot for others. I hope the people in your life are appreciative of all the ways you pay it forward.

Alana Jo said...

Great ways to pay it forward!

Julie said...

Jo, will you become my neighbor? I'll help you when I can and you can help me and the world will be pretty darn cool. We can help the people around us and enjoy it. I love this post Jo. Thank you for stopping by and your kind words. Truly!!! Have a great weekend.
Blessings my friend!

Maren said...

I love your list of ways you pay it forward. You are a great person!