Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hello Summer and Challenge Updates



A lemon daylily in my front garden.
Happy Summer!  And what a heat wave we're having here.  Temps in the 90's every day this past week.  No rain, and too dry to mow the lawn. 

We have been watering our little garden, but the ongoing heat is burning it up in spite of our efforts.  But even though the plants look rough, they are still producing.  We are beginning to get eggplant, larger tomatoes, and we have re-planted our string beans in order to have a late crop.  I have to say (again) how much fun this little garden is, and how much we're learning by doing.  Or not doing.  Or re-doing.

Now for the challenges.  First I will say that this week has been challenging in itself for me.  Some of you know, and some of you do not, that my brother was in an auto accident last September and almost did not make it.  He had two major spinal surgeries, was in the trauma unit of Vanderbilt Hospital for 22 days.  He then was in a rehab facility for two months.  When he returned to his home, he had 24-hour care for about four months, then tapering off to now having someone come in and do laundry, some cooking and cleaning, and miscellaneous basics a couple of days a week.  The same person takes him to local appointments.  I take him to out-of-town appointments.  So this was the week for appointments.  I live an hour or so away from him, so Hubs, two cats, one dog and I left our home on Wednesday morning and returned Friday afternoon.  Bro had an appointment regarding his disability on Thursday, and a very early medical appointment on Friday (we left his home at 6:00 a.m.!)  I am happy to say that at both appointments he received great news.  We are hopeful that he will continue to improve and that he will be able to drive himself to local appointments and grocery and such in a couple of months. 

So the challenge for me was being away from home with Hubs and animals in tow, and navigating big city traffic.  Which brings food challenges, hydration challenges, and exercise challenges.  Not to mention very little sleep and a high level of stress.

So.  For the Five Mile Challenge, I added only 5 miles this week.  This brings my total mileage for June to 29 miles.  (This does not include today's walk, which goes on the coming week's tally.)



And for the Summer Sizzle:



I am still not weighing every day, so as to take the focus off the scale.  I will report that I am maintaining.

This week's challenge was to try a new exercise.   I thought back to the days in high school when we had to do jumping jacks, lunges, leg kicks, situps, and pushups, so I challenged myself to do 10 of each.  It was a different kind of exercise for me, and I will add it to my walk/runs a couple of times a week for variety.

The coming week's challenge is to drink 100 oz of water daily.  In this heat, I don't think it will be a problem for me.

My calorie cycling looks like this:
Sun  1055
Mon   960
Tue  1015
Wed  1400
Thu  855
Fri  1505
Sat  765
...for a daily average of 1079.  Even if I had underestimated by 200 per day, I am still well under 1400 average.

This week I hope to return to my lovely, boring, quiet little life in the country.  So we will see what pops up unexpectedly.

Okay, let's drink our water, count our calories, do our exercise, and have a great week!




9 comments:

Angela Pea said...

Jo! What encouraging news about your brother! I'm so happy to hear it.

It's miserable hot here, too. I can't complain, because it is, after all, summer. It's just time to hole up indoors and only venture outside in the predawn and postsunset gloom. :) I actually burned my hand on the seatbelt yesterday. Ouch.

Catch up on some sleep this week, you'll feel better for it.

The Kaizen Project said...

Looks like things are on track, well done! I am envious of your discipline regarding food calories, I really struggle on that front. I hope your week is awesome Jo!

Michele said...

That is great news about your brother. I am happy for all of you. Looks like a good week with your calorie budget. Maybe next week in the country will find you able to walk or exercise a bit more. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Happy news for your brother. What a relief you him and your family.

How are you feeling on those calories? Pretty low numbers.

Rochelle said...

Glad to hear that your brother is mending and things look hopeful. Great news! And I know how difficult it can be to stay on track with food, exercise and hydration when life throws you curve balls. I don't do well when I am away from my home and all of my familiar elements that help me stay on track.
Good luck this week getting in all of the H2O!!! Heat outdoors helps the desire to drink - it sort of becomes a necessity. At least that's what I am hoping!

Debsdailylife said...

How encouraging to hear about your brother!!! So thankful hes getting good news!!!
Havea wonderful week!!

Nanette N. said...

Glad your brother is healing.

I love that you went old school for your exercises. The body weight exercises are so effective. I hope you start to feel it in the next few weeks! (in a good way of course).

Unknown said...

Great job getting those miles in. And happy news about your brother. :) Hope you are having a great week.

Michele said...

Hi, Jo,
I just wanted to thank-you for the lovely comments you made to me about my puppy and my other ruminations on my other blog. I do not have the answers to those questions I asked, but I am certainly ruminating over them! Michele