Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday - Part 2 - Mexican Spaghetti

Hello again, Readers,

Tina M asked a few days ago about the Mexican Spaghetti I ate at a restaurant. I've never made it, but it would be easy. It's just spaghetti pasta with chili on top. You could use whatever recipe you use for chili, or just open a can (healthy, of course). At this restaurant, they add a spoon of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, some olives, some jalapenos, and on the very top are a few diced pieces of green pepper and fresh tomato. Then when they bring it to the table they offer fresh grated Parmesan. I don't know how many calories are in it, but we always go there for lunch and get a smaller portion. And you could control the calories by your chili recipe and using lowfat sour cream and cheese, of course.

I am at only 455 calories so far for the day. Breakfast was only a piece of multigrain toast with a slice of 2% cheese, for 95 calories, plus my 1/2 banana for 50 and coffee at 60, for a total of 205 calories. Lunch was tuna salad at 160, 1 piece of mg bread for 45 and 4 oz of unsweetened applesauce for 45, for a total of 250. I am a little hungry, so will have an apple soon. Dinner will be 3 oz of protein and probably some steamed broccoli or a salad.

The rain has stopped, so I'm going to gear up the dog and head out for a walk.

Everyone have a great evening!

7 comments:

Allan said...

Chili out of a can, on top of spaghetti, with the rest of the items listed. A nice bowl in the restaurant, figure 900 calories easy, maybe 1200. At home, just as bad. Not for Jo on a diet, ever !!!

Jo said...

@Allan - Thanks, and you're absolutely right, I will not be making it at home. And we only go there once in a blue moon, as they say. Precisely why I try to stay away from the restaurant food!

Sharon said...

Jo, Just wanted to let you know that I'm still enjoying your twice a day posts. It's just kind of fun knowing so much of the daily routine of my blog friends. However, I know you aren't doing it just to keep me entertained - LOL! Hope you feel like it's helping you.

BTW, I think your profile says you are somewhere in the southeast. Mind telling me which state? Just curious if you are close to me in East Tennessee. (If you don't want to share that info, I understand perfectly. Many don't!)

Polar's Mom said...

You could use tofu miracle noodles, lean turkey chili or some other lean gamemeat like buffalo/elk, and use lowfat/nofat cheese and sour cream like you said and I think it would be super low cal and still very tasty and filling.

Polar's Mom
www.polarspage.blogspot.com

Andrew(ajh) said...

Good luck on the Hot100!

TinaM said...

Thanks Jo! I was very curios :)
I think that sounds yummy.
I agree with Polar's Mom, if you wanted to I'm sure it can be made low cal. But having it at the restaurant once in a blue moon is fine in my book. Especially when you're smart with the portion size :)

Michele said...

Jo, I think you are doing awesome. I know counting calories, although tedious at tiems, is so very important. Nice work.