Hello Readers,
Today started with sleeping in. Nice. Then I had my 1/2 banana and took off for a walk around the neighborhood. I had just dropped my little dog back home and was ready to take off for my "mommy walk" when a couple from down the street called to me and asked if I wanted to walk with them. So much for my alone time at my own pace. But it's always nice to visit.
The wife is a yo-yo dieter. She gains and loses 20 to 30 lbs over and over. She is shorter than my 5'4", so I know it's tough. She mentioned that she is on the Adkins Diet now and has lost 30 lbs, and wants to lose 10 more. She said she has tried WW and even working with a nutritionist/herbalist and eating only 500 calories per day, but Adkins is what works for her. I told her I had tried Adkins and lost 15 lbs, but gained it back, plus 20 more over the course of 3 or 4 years. I mentioned that now I just watch portions, that I can eat anything, just not a lot of it. She said, "I can't do that. When I'm hungry I have to eat. With Adkins I feel like a person again and not a rabbit."
Now, I am all for each person doing whatever works for him or her, and don't try to push my plan or any plan on anyone. If you are obese and are happy that way, it is your life and none of my business. In fact, one of my best friends weighs over 400 lbs and we don't talk about nutrition. She is an intelligent person with two beautiful grandchildren, and if she doesn't want to try to live a long and healthy life to see them grow up, it's her choice.
Back to my neighbor. Maybe it shouldn't have bothered me, but when she said, "When I'm hungry I have to eat," I wanted to tell her to find a distraction, call a friend, fold laundry, just don't do it. I do understand that maybe she has health issues and has a really good reason for "having" to eat when she's hungry. I am sometimes hypoglycemic myself. But I have watched her gain and lose, gain and lose, for years and I guess I thought by now she should have figured it out.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to go into all that, but I guess I'm hypersensitive about all this nutrition and health business right now. If I've offended any of you, that was not my intention. I hope if we're all here together, it's because we all have a plan that's working. And everyone knows I fall off the wagon from time to time, eat the pizza, drink the Margarita, well, by now you know my weaknesses.
So far I have had 345 calories. My late lunch will be 250 or less calories worth of tuna salad with 1 piece of multigrain bread and maybe some applesauce. And I did get my 3 walk done, but without the running portion today. Aren't I grumpy when my exercise plans don't work out?
I will try to listen to myself and if I'm hungry, find a distraction! Hahaha!
8 comments:
I SO need to follow your lead on walking, Jo. Great job!
As for your neighbor, she wasn't particularly careful on her wording - it came across as critical and maybe even a little condescending, and I'm sure she didn't mean it that way. I personally don't have any problem with someone eating when hunger hits, but hunger doesn't mean it should trigger a marathon eating event. It is okay to eat just enough to take the edge off, and a carrot will stop a growling stomach every bit as much as a slice of pizza will. Like everything else in life, it is all about our choices, and making GOOD ones.
Try not to take her words too personally. She is probably going to cycle down, and back up again, because she is not learning. Perhaps, next time, she'll ask what is working for you (because clearly, your scale is heading DOWN!!) ...
@Ann - I am just too sensitive and wish she could just keep it off. Did I mention she has a PhD? She did say that she is going to walk more, which I should have added in my post. Thanks for the kind words.
YOU SAID:
"I am all for each person doing whatever works for him or her, and don't try to push my plan or any plan on anyone."
I agree completely. I know you're specifically discussing diet, but I think the same live-and-let-live approach should apply to other topics, including religion and politics. Fanatics of all kinds are a real nuisance.
Jo, I think we all feel the same. Even when I get the urget to share with someone about my approach I bite my tongue. It's too easy to push "one" right way, when I think it ought to be whatever works for anyone trying.
I agree with Ann, and the point that she can eat when hungry, but maybe you could suggest something healthy if she ever says that again... something you like to snack on, like a banana :)
It doesn't matter how book smart a person is, PHD or no, there are fat people in all levels of education. She may be smart enough, but not serious enough. She may have a serious food addiction, who knows.
When she does get serious, maybe she'll ask your advise because she will want her scale to move down like yours!!!
In the meantime, Don't take her weight problems personal. We've all been there (am still there) and it takes some of us longer to really get serious about it. All you can do is offer your advise and hope she finds what works for her...
You're doing great :)
And congrats on the puppies! CUTE :)
Thanks for all the nice comments. I just needed to vent. I'm over it now, and don't think I'll be bothered by those statements any more.
When i am hungry, i also eat, just not M&M's and chips and bread. I do eat a lot like a rabbit, but at 50 i need to change the way i eat. I was tired, tired of being obsessed, tired of always feeling like crap and so dang tired of losing the same weight over and over again. So if it works for her, .... What..the freak...ever!!!
Sorry, i also needed a vent..... I am better now
@Karla - Hey, no problem. You can come here and vent anytime! Glad we both feel better! ;-)
Post a Comment