Hello Readers,
I thought I was smarter than this.
Yesterday Husband and I went to the mall to pick up a few things. I only had 210 calories by 11:00 a.m., so I was good early in the day, thinking that we would have lunch at a restaurant we love, where I have a large choice of healthy items.
Husband wasn't hungry yet, so we did our shopping. By 1:00 he was overly hungry and we were not finished with our shopping. He wanted pizza and everything in the mall was equally unhealthy. I won't list the choices, but it's a small mall and has only about 8 food places. We both had one slice of pizza and a small Cesar salad. I used half the packet of Cesar dressing, he used the other half. I knew it wasn't the best choice, but knew I was light on my calories and could eat light at dinner.
So I got home and got curious about the calories when I was writing the pizza down in my food journal. They have an online nutrition site. Holy cow!! In one slice of supreme pizza, which only had 2 pieces of pepperoni and 3 small pieces of sausage, was 630 calories!
I was a bit shocked. So I drank extra water and only had 300 calories for dinner, ending my day at 1355 calories total.
Lesson learned. The next time, if there is one, we will split the one piece of pizza and each have a little Cesar salad.
I have learned a lot this time around, but obviously still have a lot to learn, especially at estimating calories. The good thing about all this is that when I weighed today, I was down .2 lb from yesterday! So hopefully there was no harm done.
I just wanted to perhaps warn you about fast food while you're running around and shopping. Take the time to plan ahead (I didn't do it this time) and go easy on the calories for the rest of the day. And if possible while you're on the run, DRINK THE WATER!
5 comments:
I know-that crap is bad on sodium, too (but sooo yummy).
Hubby and I have started making our own pizzas at home. I found low carb crusts that are about 7 inches in diameter, they function merely as topping holders. Then I chop peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, and turkey pepperoni-then part skim mozarella. The whole thing is under 500 calories, and super tasty.
Yeah I know they are not in the mall when you are starving while shopping, but when hubby's cravings are curbed it makes it easier for me to stick to my diet.
Sounds like it went ok though for you, but as someone who also battles the pizza war, for me premeditating my pizza intake helps me avoid bad pizza...
Polar's Mom
www.polarspage.blogspot.com
Drink the WATER!! :)
malls.. ug! Over hungry is bad... I try to NEVER get there anymore. I have drastically reduced capacity for good decision making once I'm overly hungry!
Yes Jo, I think we've all experienced the OMG, what did I do feeling after thinking we'd made a decent choice while out and then finding it was worse than we'd estimated. Thank goodness for online nutrition info, but as you've discovered, it's best to check this out BEFORE the fact instead of after! LOL! I learned this lesson the hard way a while back after thinking I'd made a good choice at Olive Garden! What a joke!
Our mall food court has just opened a new place called Salad Works that is delicious and has lots of good choices. I am so happy - just hope it makes it long term. With Sbarro Pizza on one side of it and Taco Bell on the other, who knows??
WOW ... thanks for the warning!
I think I'm going to put some carrot sticks in a zip lock, before we go out shopping. That can be filling, at least enough to get us through the mall, until we can find healthier eating choices.
Is it any wonder I'm so heavy? I could polish off 3-4 slices of pizza without batting an eyelash - in the old days! Sheesh!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Good job of tracking, even though you were surprised by the calories in the pizza. I don't think I have any idea how many calories I used to eat. Until I started tracking, I probably underestimated a lot of the time. Good for you, staying on track!
Post a Comment