Thursday, January 12, 2012

5K in My Future

It just appeared yesterday when I least expected it.  I stopped by my old workplace to deliver some documents, and one of the girls said, "Hey JoJo, the 5K is March 24th this year.  We won't have to run in 100 degree heat!"  She took it for granted that I would be there again.  Sort of makes me know I WILL be there again.

Last July I walk/ran my first official 5K in July and almost died from heat and humidity.  Well, no, I didn't almost die, but I did get light-headed and really, really HOT. 

This 5K is sponsored by the American Cancer Society Relay for Life, and is the one all my friends and acquaintances participate in.  It's fun, we cheer each other on, and there are some really nice prizes.  So this year it should be nice weather, although it rains a lot in March, and could be cold, but the daffodils will be blooming and Spring will be near.

And this year...THIS YEAR...I plan to do more running than walking.

So, just the motivation I needed, just when I needed it! 

I have TEN WEEKS to prepare for this, and I can do it.  This is the motivation I needed to get out there and walk/run/improve my one mile time. 
-----------------------------------

In other news, my low-carb plan is still going well.  I still have had not one bite of sweets.  And I think if I did, it would be sickeningly sweet to me.  I do feel much better.  I feel that the holiday poisons are out of my system and I am ready to go back to my normal diet (no bread, no salt, no sugar, no processed), portion control and lots of water.

I'm reading all of your blogs and everyone seems to be hanging in there.  Let's not lose our momentum. 

Have a great rest of the week!

8 comments:

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Good luck, Jo. I wish you the best. I know you will do great.:)

downsizers said...

I have read of so many who make running a 5K one of their goals and I think it is great. Since you have a date and plenty of time to get ready, why not?

Debsdailylife said...

I LOVE it when things 'fall in to your lap'!!!!

Michele said...

A great target to prepare for!



Hey, I tagged you today. It will be fun!! Michele

Sharon said...

I totally agree about the sweets. Haven't had any since the day after Thanksgiving and the desire has totally vanished. I hope I'm smart enough to know that it never dies completely and the first bite is always the deadly one!!!

Love the idea of hte 5k. Keep us posted on training progress.

Jordan said...

That sounds great! It's amazing how things just seem to pop up when you need them.

BTW - I mailed the CD set day before yesterday, so you should get it any day now!

Casey said...

Great motivation to get moving!
All the best!

Julie said...

Awesome Jo, just darn right awesome.!!!
Good luck with you race. Also yeah for no sugar, it's hard but doable.
Take care and God Bless!!