Thursday, January 5, 2012

Question: How Do You Track?

Something I was reading this morning got me thinking about all the different ways/plans we are on to get to the same goal. 

So I was wondering.  How do you track?

Do you count calories?  How many, and how did you determine how many you need to lose weight?
Count points?
Count carbs?
Weigh and measure?
Go by how your clothes feel?
Or some combination of any of these? 
Or maybe none of these.  Maybe another method.

And next:  Why?
Because it's what has worked in the past?
Because you're new at this and that's what a friend is doing?
Because it's easy?

Please be as brief or as lengthy as you wish.  I just thought we could all benefit from each others' methods and maybe pick up something new.

What do I do?  Basically, I count calories.  I know that when I am exercising a lot, I need about 1500 to maintain.  When I am not exercising, I can average 1000 to 1200 to maintain.  Some days are around 1600. 
I use a notebook and pen, and journal every bite.  It works for me.

Why do I track this way?  Because I have watched my family try to lose weight for years.  It seems that they are only successful with counting calories, and watching portion size.  Some exercise, some don't.  And I try to listen to my body.  It will tell me when my sugar is low, or high.  Or when I need more carbs for energy.  Or if I'm craving a particular food, it probably is my body trying to tell me something, and I try to figure out what it is.  Sometimes it's just emotional.  (Well, lots of times it's emotional.) But sometimes it's really a need, or a lack of something.

So if you have a minute, send a comment or do a post about what you're doing and why you choose it.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I detest tracking. It messes with my mind. That said, I agree that calorie count is the best. I have used it as a reality check for a few days . Obviosly you've found the method that works for you, and it seems like you've really develpoed a sense of your own body and its needs. Great work!

Angela Pea said...

Hi Jo!

What I Do: I'm in Weight Watchers, for the support and camaraderie,and I track daily points. If you look at the "math" behind WW points, this means I'm technically tracking total carbs, fiber, fat and protein.

(Aside: I tend to choose low carb foods in general, because of my diabetes.)

I use measuring cups and a kitchen scale to get the portions right. I have 26 points a day, plus an extra 49 a week. This works out to about 1200 calories a day give or take, a few more if I'm starving after a big workout.

Every bite eaten is logged in an electronic notebook that I can access from my phone, computer, iPad, etc. (All exercise is logged, too.)

Why I Do It? Because it works. Because I can't rely on my memory to keep up every day with what and how much I ate or how long I worked out. I need the daily nudge and accountability to be sure I stay on track. It's WAY too easy to start overestimating portions and underestimating calories if you don't write it all down!

donnamacd said...

My diet/fitness-du-jour is a combination of "stuff" I've read here, and stuff that has worked in the past, but that I managed to talk myself out of - as in, "Well, I'm on vacation, it's the holidays, etc, so I'm going to eat/do what I want." *sigh* I KNOW what works for me: No sugar, no "white" (bread or pasta), about 1200 calories a day, 30 minutes of intentional activity. Why can't I continue to do that? Wish I knew why I don't seem to feel that I'm worth it!

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Jo,
I am counting carbs. I do this because keeping my carbs low has worked in the past and because I believe in the science of the Atkins plan for people like me with insulin resistance. I have been on a healthy diet for long enough to know about how many carbs I can tolerate. I have to stay below a certain number to lose weight. Right now I'm staying below 40. I ideally, I don't go over 60. I lost the majority of my weight by keeping my carbs under 60. When I stopped being carb conscious and was eating sweets, I started to gain again.

I use Fitday PC to check the carbs in unfamiliar foods. I have a carb counter on the way now.

Caron said...

I'm also a Weight Watcher and counting points is just another way of counting calories. It always works better for me if I take the time to write down what I'm eating and not try to remember. :)

Karla said...

Old weight watcher points, no meetings. I also track grams of protein

Why? i didnt want to join Weight Watchers... AGAIN for the freakin zillionth time... Shame factor.... So I did it on my own. i know the program, its easy, counting calories is hard ... I think

The grams of protein, because when I keep my protein high, over 120, I dont get hungry. i space my food out also. I eat every 2-3 hours. If I go longer then I am just setting myself up to freak out and eat EVERYTHING... Lol

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Jo, Blogger ate my post to you. I responded earlier but I don't see it here. I'm counting carbs, not calories. I am trying to stay under 40 grams of carbs today. It is working for me and has worked for me in the past. I'm happy to answer any questions about my plan. :) I hope this comes through this time.

Fatoutofskinny said...

I follow Weight Watchers and so track using the Points system. I have to track it keeps me accountable

Sharon said...

For years, I counted calories with 1200 being my target based on calculations of my height and goal weight. Now that I'm following the 17-Day Diet Plan, it's a new and much easier way of tracking (at least for me)! Unlimited protein and veggies, 2 fruits, 2 probiotics, 2 fats each day. What is included in these categories depends on which phase of the plan you are in. Everything except phase 1 also includes 2 natural starches. Although I do write it down, it's easy to track in my head. I still have much to learn being creative with the plan, but is sure is working for me. I love the idea of moving in and out of phases every 17 days.

Maren said...

I track calories. It's the only thing that works for me.. I weigh everything, and I have a tool online that I use for keeping the data.

Erin said...

So, I try not to talk too much about this because I know this method isn't for everyone and I don't want to cause anyone to stray.

I don't track. I do try to run rough totals in my mind and it works for me. It's easy, it's quick, and when I'm making smart food choices and exercising, I consistently lose weight.

MaryFran said...

I track my food intake. I've done it through weightwatchers in the past (which does work) and with just simple calorie counting (which is what I'm currently doing. I monitor how much I weigh on a weekly basis.

Why? I need to track because it's the only way I can curb the demon inside me....I'll just keep eating and eating. The tracking is like my budget. I have so many calories in my budget...when the budget is 'empty' I stop eating!

Anonymous said...

I track via LoseIt.com and I track colories and the nutrient percentages. My main reason for counting is to use the tool to focus as the day goes by hat i have a calorie goal and as I eat I am aware of where I am in relation to that goal. Secondarily I like to try and achieve a certain nutrient balance, but first and formost is eating to a calorie deficit daily. If I dont do that, the nutrients are really meaningless re: losing weight.

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

I have various ways. When I notice I"m stalled or straying, I do the SparkPeople nutrition tracker to get me focused. When I'm sailing along and back in the groove, I just add it in my head--a running tally. Or I write down each meal/snack's tally. I'm ridiculously good at calorie counting. ALWAYS have been, even in my first visit to a dietitian at age 29, she was astounded at how accurate I was. She says she's used to people sucking at it when she tests them with visual meals (it, pics of meals and asking us to guesstimate caloris). I always came withing 30 to 40 points. :D I still come withing 50 or fewer points when I quickly guesstimate my meals. I've teested it by weighing, portioning, eating, then tracking...and I'm always spot on. A lot of times, just 10 calories off, or 5 from the tracker sum.

So, when I'm doing okay, I just guesstimate, keep a running or written tally (I email myself the meal's tally sometimes so I don't forget). And when I hit my limit, I'm done for the day.

I've done all sorts in the past, comlicated and easy, Richard Simmons and WW Points. But for me, it's just easier to do the counting meal by meal and stop when I hit my limit.

Julie said...

I track with myfitnesspal but not very good so starting Sunday when I get groceries I'm going to just track in a journal and transfer to myfitnesspal when I have time. I'm learning and love when people ask question so I can read the comments and learn.
Take care Jo and have a blessed weekend.

lv2 said...

I am currently tracking cal. I try to weigh and measure, but as I do eat out some has to be guessed at. Since I tend to eat at the same places I have done a to go at some of them and brought home some items to weigh and measure. In the past I have done WW both the Ollllld way of portions and points....I was bad with the points and would put "bad" things in....it ended up almost a game.....what could I fit in and still make the points/fiber counts. I have also done some other portion type diets, but I find that if I use complex carbs, keep them low and keep my veggies high I tend to do well. I'm using my fittness pal to track but I do fewer carbs and more protein......and often get messages that I'm not eatting enough when I'm doing well. IMO it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it consistently and figure out how many, cal, cabs, portions that you need for it to work for you.