Thursday, January 19, 2012

Keep On Keeping On

It's mid-week and I have nothing exciting to say.

But I'm doing a lot of reading your blogs.  Most are having trouble getting started back on whatever plan they have chosen.  That's me, too.  I don't like that exercise is an important part of my plan and I can't do what I like best, which is walk/run my 3-miler around the neighborhood. 

This is not to say that I am making excuses for not exercising.  I am exercising, but it's not what I like to be doing.  And it's not as much as I like to be doing.  It's cold.  It's dark.  It's rainy a lot of the time.  Sometimes it's ice and/or snow.  I want to wrap up and sit by the fire with a big bowl of popcorn.

I have a treadmill.  I am using it.  But it's boring.  I have light weights.  I am using them, but they're boring, too.  But I'm doing it. 

Trying to maintain, keep moving, keep getting healthier and make it through the winter.  I do weigh less than I did this time last year.  And I didn't gain during the holidays.  Major accomplishment!

So I'm doing fine on most fronts:  calories, water, mental health, working toward ultimate goals, supporting my buddies, gently kicking some butts, staying "in the game" no matter what.  And I will not quit.

I hope everyone is having a great week.  If your plan is not working for you, change the plan.  Three weeks is enough time to know if you're going to be able to do it until you reach your goal, or in my case, forever.  There is nothing wrong with choosing another plan, as long as you HAVE a plan and don't fall off the wagon.  Or if you do fall off, get back on before it leaves your ass behind! 

10 comments:

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Good advice, Jo and I'm going to take it. I'm not sure there is anything wrong with my plan but I don't think it is right for me at this time. It is time to try something else.

Caron said...

I hear you on the boring exercise. I actually enjoy Zumba and try to get to class on Monday and Thursday. I am a fair weather walker and bicycle rider too. I'll do the exercise DVD's but they can be quite boring. Sigh. And on we go. :)

Michele said...

When I am riding my bike on my inside trainer, I visualize my rides throughout the summer. I have only been at it for a few days, but it helps me. Maybe try visualizing yourself running outside, stride for stride. Have a great weekend!

Angela Pea said...

LOL!! "...get back on before it leaves your ass behind!"

Priceless. Absolutely Priceless!

Erin said...

I get bored when I'm on my treadmill too so I usually need something to distract me, that's why I actually have it set up directly in front of my 50" HD TV - I tried to put on a movie or a show that I really want to see so I can get lost in that and get a workout in, killing two birds with one stone!

Julie said...

For me a new plan started yesterday. I feel off the wagon but climbed back on.
You are doing good. Keep that up.
Take care Jo and God Bless!!

Julie said...

Well said. I love the get back on before it leaves your ass behind. So true. Just because we chose a path doesn't mean we can't make course corrections. I hate boring days. I'm proud of your stick to it attitude.

Virtual Paul said...

Hi Jo, and thanks for following my blog. I don't know you setup for your treadmill because I am new to your blog but I actually went so far as moving my elliptical into my TV room. I can now get so engrossed in a show that I almost forget I'm exercising LOL. An Ipod/Ipad might help with the boredom also. I look forward to following your journey!

Nanette N. said...

I love working out with a partner! It keeps things from being too boring... I've also been trying bodyrock.tv it's intense. Short. and you can't think about how bored you are because you're working too hard. It helps to have someone to compete with too.... or keeping records so you can compete with yourself.

Empty Nester said...

I like your attitude- it's positive and determined. That's what it takes! I guess this is when I should be glad I live where I do and that our winters are mild. But some cold weather would be nice. We've been in the 70s and humid which makes it more difficult for me to continue this running regimen. Mostly it's the humidity that interferes. But, like you, I just keep on keeping on! Good for you!