Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 2 of 2012

This is my "main man" wishing everyone a Happy New Year.  He is a 3-yr-old Maltese and is the head of our household. 

He says it so much better than I ever could.

Day 2 of 2012 and how is it going for everyone who has started or resumed a new eating plan? 

I am getting my 64+ oz of water in with no problem.  And I am low-carbing it pretty well.  But dang I'm hungry!  I got that vegetable soup put together and it's simmering on the stove now.  It's very tasty and I hope it will help with the munchies.  I am having trouble giving up the crackers.  Soup goes with crackers.  Cheese goes with crackers.  Tuna salad goes with crackers.  I'm doing fine without the bread, but the crackers are killing me.  I think when I was doing this before, I used celery a lot instead of crackers. 

And this time, for some reason, I am unprepared in the pantry area for a food change.  I guess I thought I could get by until the next scheduled grocery trip, and I will, but there seems to be not much that I can eat on this plan.  I know, pork skins.  Husband does have some, but I hate to eat all that fat. 

Exercise so far?  A mile walked yesterday and today.  I'm starting small, since it has been awhile (3 months, when my family illness started) since I got any beneficial cardio.  But it's okay...I have been very active, just not breaking any really good sweats.  Yet.  I'm going to put up a new ticker for mileage in 2012 - that is, if I figure out how to do it.  I tried once and it didn't work.  More on that later.  Oh, and I changed my weight loss ticker to again reflect my total loss since the beginning, and not the last ten pounds.  I thought that some people may be new here and not know where I started.

You all seem to be on track and ready to focus on your health.  If there is anyone new reading here, or if anyone knows of anyone just beginning, please direct me to them.  I know that support meant everything to me when I first started blogging, and I would like to encourage anyone who is just jumping in.  And I really wish some of those who have dropped off would re-commit.  Since we're all starting over in one way or another, it would be a great time to come back to us. 

Calories yesterday were 1020.  I am focusing on "what" I am eating nutritionally, as well as taking my vitamins, so I am mindful of not ignoring my overall health.  After all, that's why I'm here.  The weight loss is just icing on the cake (IF it happens). 

Thank you to those who commented that my "belly shot" wasn't so bad.  You are kind, and it wouldn't be so bad if it was someone else's belly.  I'm going to firm it up and then I will be GLAD for you to see it!  ;-)

Okay, I'm reading your posts and leaving some love and encouragement.  Let's all try to stay on track for at least a month, okay?  After that, I will be kicking some butts if you start whining about wanting off the wagon!

11 comments:

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Hang in there with the low carbing, Jo. I know how hard it is. All through New Year's Eve I stared wistfully at the pack of Breton Crackers that Dail and Nick were sharing. I just spread the cheese on my summer sausage and tried to ignore the cracker but I do understand what you mean. I miss the crunch and the saltiness of crackers. Pork skins just aren't the same.

Julie said...

Your off to a good start Jo, excellent. Keep it up.
Blessings!!

Anonymous said...

You got it going well here as 2012 lifts off. Doing good so far myself. If we can manage 2 days in a row, we can manage 2,000 :-)

downsizers said...

There is a brand of cracker called "Wasa" that you might try. Low carb is not no carb remember. You will be tired without some carbs. I allowed myself 50 - 100 carbs a day and was losing. For low carb snacks try raw almonds, hard boiled eggs, string cheese, lean meat - there are many choices to keep you from being so hungry that are low carb. Count the carbs not the calories. You can have more than 1020 calories for sure and lose. You do have to be sensible about the calories but you don't have to starve. The sugar free chocolate pudding is delicious.

Maren said...

Seems like you've had a good start Jo, but I totally understand the crackers thing! I love crackers too :)

Miz said...

I LOVE how you focus on a month at a time.
I can commit to that and then duct tape myself to the wagon for feb.if need be :)

Anonymous said...

Water and low carb = Such determination with just those two diet goals alone. You can do it! :)

Nanette N. said...

Jo! You're doing well! I'm glad your getting back into motion. I'm so with you on the cracker wagon, I've been replacing them with cucumbers. cucumbers and cottage cheese. :)

Can't wait to see your next "belly shot!" I'm absolutely positive that we'll see you toning up along the way!

Karla said...

Love vegetable soup :)
I think at 52 and 2 kids and gaining and losing a zillion pounds theres no getting away from belly sag for me, hello spanx

Angela Pea said...

Hi Jo!

We're all having cracker sadness this week, aren't we? :)

It will be okay - I promise we'll all survive!

Bluezy said...

I do love me some crackers in my creamy soups. I can sure relate to that.