Thursday, March 29, 2012

Midweek Update

The "not hungries" have made the scale slip into the 130's for me today.  I hope it lasts but know that these last 5 pounds are going to be the most difficult to shed. 

I can live at 140 for the rest of my life, and not be overweight, and at a healthy BMI.  I feel good at 140.  But I look better at 135.  I am only 5'4", so 5 lbs either way shows on my frame.

So I am going to think about accepting myself at 140, and trying to firm up the flabby areas and get some cardio strength back.  Getting a little muscle tone in my arms, abs and legs. 

I am going to think about being the healthiest 140 I can be, and being happy with that.  I will still try to stay under 140, but perhaps not at 135.  I will think about this and work with making peace with it.  I have learned this week that losing 4 lbs by being sick and not hungry is not a healthy feeling.

It has been a beautiful week here, and I am still not able to enjoy the garden therapy.  I am feeling better, but my legs feel like noodles, I am still coughing, and now have developed pleurisy and a little vertigo.  I have been fighting this allergy-related sinus infection and bronchitis for over a month.  I have not been out of the house in over a week and have no desire to do so yet.  If this is still hanging on after the weekend I will go back to my doc for another round of antibiotics, maybe another kind to go on and knock it out.  I hate putting all this medicine junk into my body, but I also hate that my body is going through all this stress from infection and inflammation.  So I just have to trust my doc.

I have been drinking my water and diluted juice nonstop.  I sent Husband to the grocery for summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage and spinach.  I marinaded the squash, cucumbers, and some baby carrots.  Crunchy and yummy!

I have a lot of time to read this week, and am reading your blogs and my health books, along with some official health blogs and health news sites.  There will never be a day when I think I know enough about health and nutrition.

Thank you all for your well wishes and support for me.  It means a lot just to have a kind word of support now and then.

Rain is in our forecast for tomorrow, so maybe it will wash some of this pollen away and I will be able to get outside and walk for a day or two.  When the "noodlies" get out of my legs I am going to get on the treadmill to get back some stamina.  I am doing lunges, squats, stretches, and lifting light weights just to keep moving and not get set back so far.

My mind is in the right place, which is very important to me. 

My guiding quote is at top, right, by Mario Andretti.

I am supporting lots of you, and hope to be around again before our weekend reports.

Everyone have a great rest of the week!

11 comments:

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Congrats on the loss, Jo. You are doing great. I wish I could show a loss this week but it isn't is the cards. I'm still struggling. I hope you feel better soon so that you can get outside and enjoy the nice weather. It is lovely here today too but my sinuses are also kicking up a fit. I need something for it but hate to go to the doctor again. Hang in there. I know what you mean about making peace with your weight and your body. I'm never going to have my ideal but I can live with what I do have even if it is a few pounds over my normal. The stress isn't worth it. I'm going to shoot for a more realistic number and hope my low carbing plan will get me there. Either way, I want to know I've done all I can and then accept what can't be changed or compromised for. Hugs to you, Jo.

Nanette N. said...

I'm so happy for you that you're in the healthy weight range! You can totally tone up (though it might actually make you GAIN weight at first). But this sinus infection... I never want to work out when I'm sicky. Have you ever used a Netti pot? I hear wonderful things, but can't attest for them. My deviated septum won't let the water out. NOT so helpful with the infection bit.

El said...

I love that you mention your mind being in the right place. That is how I feel right now for the first time in FORever!

Sharon said...

I like the tone I'm hearing from you right now. It speaks of contentment with how things are working for you. It's o.k. to reassess goals - I've just done the very same thing. I was stuck on a number that worked six years ago and may still, but if it needs to be a bit higher to be sustainable, so be it. When will you visit the doctor again? I so hope your numbers have shown an improvement. You've worked SO hard for that to happen.

Enz said...

Feel better soon.

PlumPetals said...

I love the attitude of being the healthiest you can be!

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

I'm only 2 inches taller than you, and I'd have to get down to like 144 to be in "normal weight". That's 36 lbs. Um, yeah, not happening.

I'll be happy just to get CLOSER to normal. I haven't been normal weight since age 22...by 23 I was already in overweight territory, and by later 20's, obese. In my thirties, morbidly obese....in my 40's, really seriously morbidly obese.

Just being overweight again is such a relief. Snort.

I think focusing on being 140 is good. You don't have to constantly fight your body (which will slow down metabolically as you get even older). You can maintain easier than constantly fighting for that lower number.

Almost every big "loser" i've seen reaches a certain low weight, then ends up higher for maintenance, finding the lower number just a huge challenge daily to hold onto.

Maybe you will find the 130s easy. Maybe 140 will be the magic number. You'll see and you'll know and you'll find the happy spot. :D

On we go...

Caron said...

Hope you get totally well soon. I'm only 5'3" tall and my WW goal weight is 140. They gave me a range from 113 to 141. When I got to 140, I said enough and stopped. I do try to stay a few pounds under and am at 136 this morning. My clothes fit better at 136 and five pounds definitely show on short people. :)

Shannon said...

I hope you feel better soon!

I am only 5'1 and weigh 136. I want to get to 125, but if I don't I still know that I look a lot better than I did at 163 3 months ago!!! :)

Shannon
http://www.everystepcounts365.wordpress.com

Angela Pea said...

Oh Babe! I'm sorry you still feel so yucky. Though being jumped up on prescriptions is the pits, you're absolutely right about recognizing the point where your body can't fight off the germs any more on it's own.

Don't fret the [weight] number. That number doesn't define you - how you are wonderfully made, how you are strong, smart and kind.

Get well!

Julie said...

I hope you're feeling better. Do trust your doctor.
Your weight is awesome. I don't think I will ever see that weight.
Get better Jo. Blessings!