Sunday, October 10, 2010

Calorie Counting 101

Hello Readers,

A few days ago, Ann  left a comment here and asked how to begin counting calories if you’ve never really tried it before.  Before this attempt at weight loss, I had not tried it, either. 

This is not the only way, nor the best way.  It is simply what I did and what I do.  There are many ways and many sources to get this done.  You just need to start somewhere. 

I started trying to lose weight on February 14th, 2010.  I just generally started reducing my portions and making sure that what I ate was healthier.  I was losing a pound or so per week (usually) but I realized I wasn’t doing enough, and that I had a lot still to learn.

I started counting calories on June 28th, 2010.  I was inspired by my fellow bloggers, always giving the calorie counts of this or that, and the daily totals.  I knew I could do it, but didn’t know how to begin.

I have a book I bought in 2001 when I was doing Adkins, which shows the calories, carbs, fat and fiber content of most foods, including brand names and some restaurants.  If I ate it, or planned to eat it, I looked it up in the book.  I also used Google a lot, as in “calories in boiled egg large.”  I still use Google a lot. 

A few days and this was going okay.  Then I asked a friend, who has been on Weight Watchers on and off for many years, and has tried every diet ever known.  I asked the same thing as Ann:  “How do you learn to count calories if you’ve never really done it?”  For me, this was the key to really learning and remembering.

My friend told me to get a notebook and go to the refrigerator.  Write down all the things you eat and drink, and the condiments you use.  Look at the nutrition labels, find out how much a portion is, write that down, and write down the calories (and fat, if you’re watching it).  If you don’t know how much 1 oz is, measure it out, put it on a plate, look at it and remember how large it looks on your plate.  Same with ¼ cup and ½ cup, etc.  Then go to your pantry.  Do the same for your bread, crackers, chips, pancake mix, can of beans, cereal, nuts, oatmeal, peanut butter, cheese, etc.

At this point, I had a page and a half.  Then I just added to it as I would eat different things.  Now I know that my tuna salad that I eat almost every day for lunch is 160 calories, including the tuna, mayo, and pickle cubes.  Egg is extra.  My 1 piece of whole grain bread is 45 calories.  Applesauce is 45 calories for 4 oz.  That is usually my lunch, so I don’t have to look it up every day.  Same thing for breakfast.  We usually eat the same foods, or rotate the same foods in a week’s time.  I know my banana is 50 for half, 100 for the whole.  My apple is 75 calories.  My toast is 45 calories.  A smidge of butter I count as 25 calories, because it IS just a smidge.  If I have turkey bacon, it’s 35 per slice.  Half a slice of my 2% cheese is 25.  My pita is 60 calories.  A boiled egg is 78. 

Restaurant foods, for me, are an unknown, as far as calories.  You can look it up on their website, if they have one.  But I don’t trust them to be accurate.  So when I eat restaurant food, I count it anywhere between 800 and 1200 calories.  I may be high.  But I may be low.  Just another reason to prepare my own food.

I still have foods that I have to look up.  But it’s much, much easier than it was at first.  

There are also several good websites that do this same thing, and will even keep up with your calories for you.  I don’t use any of these on a daily basis, but some successful dieters do, and it may be easier than my method.

I have a small notebook where I keep track of this.  It is small enough to fit in my purse or my pocket, and several times a day I will jot down what I have eaten.  I try to subtotal every meal, then get a daily total, and then a weekly average.  It keeps me accountable.

Now for the question for you today:  How do you count calories?  If you don’t, why not?  If you use a website, which one?

I hope this, and your comments, will help Ann, and anyone else who wants to keep up with calories for awhile.  This is something I will always do, whether on paper or in my head, and I am hopeful that it will help me maintain my weight loss for the rest of my life.

15 comments:

Lou said...

Great question! I stumbled across My daily plate on Livestrong.com and it works well for me. It remembers what you track regularly and puts them at the top of search results and allows you to store your own 'recipes' or combos to save putting each individual ingredient in each time (like your Tuna salad). I have an old Apple Touch that I've put the app on which also works offline if you're only tracking stuff you've previously noted - great for catching up when I have no internet access. I can also keep track of my activity and it has a cool graphs of what your diet has been made up of (protein v carbs etc) and your weight.

You can add items that aren't in the database - something I have to do quite often as the list of New Zealand stuff is still growing :). I know that if I don't track I go off track so it's proved to be invaluable for me!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, after a while you know exactly how many calories everything you normally eat has and for those times I'm not sure, I use calorieking.com

Anonymous said...

I use Sparkpeople to count my calories and love them.

Ann (-50 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

Oh, this was so helpful, Jo (and ladies)!! Thank you so much. I'm going to refer to this post/commentary for reference. I've made up my mind to try calorie-counting after my next doctor appointment.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! xxox

Anonymous said...

I've used software called Dietpower and it's good for keeping track and counting for you.

Cathy said...

I am a big fan of myfitnesspal.

Shane G. said...

I do the google thing a lot. I wind up at livestrong about half the time and another I can't think of at this second the other half the time. I know most of my regular counts on food I eat often and then I make really good educated guesses if I can't find the calories based calorie values for similar foods I know the counts for. Hope this helps.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I use calorieking.com. They seem to be working for me. A scale is essential too.

Big Clyde said...

I use Sparkpeople as well. It is awesome and very easy.

Debbie said...

I am on Weight Watchers so I write everything down and count my points.. I do check out Sparkpeople every once in a while though...

Michele said...

I counted calories like a hawk when I first started. Now I just spot check once in a while (like today with a cup of grapes). I will be interested to read what other people use. I use this:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-food-calorie-counter

Stay strong. Jo!

TinaM said...

I did the same thing, just wrote it in a notebook as I went along. Most everything I eat is in there, but it's like 8 pages so I am slowly putting it on the computer alphabetically because I can't find things lol.

I use Calorie Counter:
http://caloriecount.about.com/
and it has a neat thing where you enter everything and it tells you the total. But I only use it for foods I don't know the calories for, I don't take advantage of the other stuff.
It has recipes I've been meaning to try too!

Sharon said...

I've counted calories for so long I just sort of know how calories most things have and I've also used nutritiondata.com. But a few years ago, I splurged and purchased a Salton Digital Scale and it has turned out to be one of the smartest things I ever did. It weighs portions and gives all kinds of nutrition statistics including exact calorie counts. I use it multiple times every day.

Ice Queen said...

I am an old hand at counting calories. I track in a notebook, writing down what I ate and the calories and keeping a running total so that I know, at a glance precisely where I am at any given time during the day.

I have a really good book of calorie counts and refer to it when I need to. I don't use it as often as I used to, since I know what most of the foods I use on a regular basis contain.

Weighing and measuring is crucial. It helps me keep a handle on my portion sizes, something I really struggle with. All those years of piling it on really distorted my sense of what is a correct portion. I am getting better at eyeballing, but weighing and measuring just adds that extra measure of security. :D

I don't do a lot of math when I count calories. I don't figure calories needed against calories taken in against calories burned by exercise leading to deficits and extra calories allowed and so forth. I just keep in a certain target range and that is that. Too many numbers make my poor little brain hurt. lol

WWSuzi said...

I use sparkpeople not only good for tracking or finding calories but has great workouts there as well.